first live performance

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Just a couple of hours ago I just got done with my first live performance :bassist: . I'm a little drunk so forgive me if I ramble.

So I'm with a friend of mine named Sean, we have a case of beer and are driving around wondering what to do when we decide to go see our friend Paul. Paul lives in a houseboat in a trailer park. So we get there and find out from his neighbor that he's been out of town for a week and nobody knows when he's coming back. So me and Sean build a fire while get plastered. There's a bar in the trailer park and some of the patrons come out and talk to us. They invite us into the bar as long as we hide our beer. I get in there and there's a guy playing some decent blues guitar with a drummer behind him. I start talking to the people and mention how I play bass. They then proceed to drag me on stage and ask me to play bass. The guitarist is named Teddy and he's a great guy (who'd a thunk it). We played simple blues where he would call out the chord changes. Keeping up with the drums was easy, but I'm not psychic so Ted helped me tremendously where other guitarists would've told me I sucked. There were of course some rough parts but overall it went well :cool: . I had a bar full of drunken rednecks shaking their butts. I now have a taste of what you gigging bassists take for granted. I can't wait for more. I'm gonna wake up early tomorrow just to practice :hyper: .
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  3. Just playing is an amazing experience. Having a good time is even better... try to play a similar gig as soon as possible!
  4. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    That is what I like about going to jams. Even if you have no experience up there, you can get a feel for it there.

I gig to supplement my income, but I still go to jams just to meet others and play stuff I don't play with the two bands I am in now.

Squidfinger: Good stuff. Check out some jams!
  5. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    So true, I can't tell you how many gigs I've wanted to cancel because I didn't feel like doing it that night (of course I didn't cancel any). But when I was younger I would've killed for some of the gigs I've played. I need to get that back. That desire to gig.
  6. Im by no means good musician but we used to play a lot in high school, bot for school audience and on some small "unknown bands" related gigs. It was damn fun for us cos we werent pretentios, we were just there for the giggles and good time.

Practicing was great too, since it was in the city its always hard to find rep locale that doesnt have angry neighbors :D
  7. i'll tell you this man, the way of finding the original passion lies in the perfect lineup. i used to be in a band where everyone was equal level, everyone could play, and I had one of the best times of my life (perhaps the best). but, as it happens, i got cocky, got kicked out (after booking a gig too, that i never played) and that was the end. now i'm working with a group, we thought we had 5 decent originals, now we've been cutting things down.

it's all about the perfect band in the perfect place at the perfect time :scowl:
  8. No it's not. Try someone breaking your both arms, and you will not be able to play for about 2 months, and after that you will need 6 months to get your fingers in condition. that will get you eager for giggin' :D

When i think about it, don't try this. It might hurt a little bit ;)
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow - I'm glad this got bumped up on the forum; I somehow missed it before.

That's great to hear about, Squid. It's great playing for a crowd.

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Thanks for all the positive responses guys :) !!!!! I'm usually not an attention-whore like this but I just had to share.

Right now I'm just trying to get back into my practice rhythm so I can get back to where I was a few months ago (boy, that's embarassing :oops: ) before I start trying to talk to any of the guitarists I know about going to an open mic nite.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Don't feel too bad...I know this guy who was a spectacular jazz guitarist at the age of 18. He went to school for jazz vocal (incredibly talented singer) and cut back on his guitar playing. He couldn't even play his simple, acoustic and vocal stuff for ages, let alone the kind of fully improvised, soulful solos he'd do over "Cry Me A River" or "Moondance."
  12. [king of the hill voices on]

....slurrpp.... ..... yyyupp....

[/voices off]

It's a tough job (live bassist) but,

Someone's got to do it. Glad you enjoyed your first live performance, hope you have many more. :cool:
  13. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    nice job, that sounds like fun. I remember my first blues gig and I had no clue how to read a chord pattern. It was at a school so there were like 10 old guys screaming the changes in my face, sometimes different ones. eh .