1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wow, Samick!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twinjet, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Holy geez. Went to another pawn shop today and came upon this lovely example of a budget bass. Would have come home with me, if not for my stronger desire to complete my Jazz build!

Anyone else dig Samick's works? They really have impressed me!

20171018_131758.

2. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    You are on the DarkHorse path my friend...

Spidey2112, irjason and Woodchuck like this.
  3. Their craftsmanship is good, but they drop crap pickups in them, usually.

TolerancEJ and Reedt2000 like this.
  4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This is pretty much dead on. I'm pretty sure they are similar to Cort in that they manufacture a lot of instruments for other companies. Just about every Samick I've ever played has been decent considering their price point. As KBD said the electronics are usually the weak point but also easy to swap out.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I wish! He has the gig money to cover it all... :D

nbsipics and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. As noted, Samick is allegedly the largest guitar manufacturer in the world and have made guitars for numerous companies. The bass in the O.P.'s photo appears to be one of the Gregg Bennett Corsairs (CR-1 model). Sadly, the entire line of Gregg Bennett solid & hollow-body electric guitars and basses has now been discontinued. They're still making acoustic guitars though.

I've owned several of these Samick/Gregg Bennett basses and guitars. I had a RL-1, which was pretty much a copy of a Gibson ES-335. Obviously not as nice as the Gibson but an incredible value for $250. At one point several years ago I was actively looking for a Mustang bass and discovered that The Recording Store in NYC was selling Samick CR-13 short scale Corsair basses for $170 delivered to my door. I bought one to use while continuing to look for a Mustang but the Samick was so good I eventually just dropped a Dimarzio Model P pickup in it and still use it to this day as my P-with-flats bass.

Samick CR13.

The Samick warehouse is only 20 miles from where I live. When the Gregg Bennett line was discontinued Samick had a huge blow-out sale at the warehouse. I picked up one of their Corsair CR-15 five-string basses for $150 OTD at one of the warehouse sales figuring that I was unlikely to find a better new 5-string bass at that price anywhere else.

Samick Sale Flyer.

People often dog Samick basses but they're as good (or maybe a bit better) quality than the Squier VM's or Indonesian Epiphones. Better tuners, beefier bridge, etc. They can get the job done but are obviously outclassed by MIA and some MIM Fenders.

O.P.: If you like that Corsair bass and it can be had in the $100-$125 price range then it would make a really good back-up bass assuming all the electrical and mechanical components were to spec.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Bass V and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. tat2clod

tat2clod

Nov 19, 2011
    Bloomington IN
    I'm either the worst at finding pawn shop finds or miss them completely. It's a college town so they gotta get beer money some how?

9. FUNKYGIGI83

FUNKYGIGI83

Dec 18, 2017
    Please help me with any information bon this guitar. I have come up with very limited info. From what I've gathered it's a 1991 Samick . The # from what I can make out are # 1051883 (on the body), and the only thing I can see is YV-441. If anyone can give me a value on a guitar like this I'd appreciate itm. Cause I can't seem to find another like .
    Lol

10. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Maybe some pictures? A lot of times import serial numbers are not as informative so it's really hard (for me anyway) to tell you anything. A model number or pics will do it.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'd like to find one of those rare, graphite-necked Samicks.

12. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Ha, turns out yv-441 us the model. Here are specs from a samick fan site
    Y
    (The Y above is the link to the site)

YV-441
    • ~1991
    Body:

• Contoured, solid Alder body
    • Spoon Cut bevels
    • Angled heel
    • Belly carve
    Neck:

• Bolt-on Rock Maple neck with scarf joint
    • Rosewood fretboard with dot inlays
    • Pointed headstock
    • Silk-screened Wave logo
    • 24 frets
    • 25.5" scale
    Binding:

• Single-ply fretboard
    Electronics:

• One ceramic single coil, one humbucker
    • 5-way switch
    • Coil tap mini-switch
    • 1 Vol, 1 Tone
    Hardware:

• Chrome hardware
    • 16:1 ratio lubricated, die-cast tuning machines
    • Triangular truss rod cover
    • Metal knobs
    • "ST-36" vintage style 6-point tremolo
    Finishes:

• Tobacco Sunburst (TSB)

13. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Well, I'm pretty sure talkbass rules forbid discussing values with non-supporting members. I would suggest maybe searching "artists series" as that seems to be how people refer to these. You can check eBay by searching completed listings. Just search samick electric guitar and see if there are similar models and what they sold or didn't sell for. You can do the same sort of thing with reverb and GC but you'll only see what they are asking. Hope this helps.

14. FUNKYGIGI83

FUNKYGIGI83

Dec 18, 2017
    It definitely did. I have done a couple of those things but I will use a few of those tips. It's just insane trying to find its value. I'm looking to get rid of it and NOT get screwed ya know , lol... But thanks for all your help.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    There is one particular Samick bass I was curious about, saw it on my local CL a while back, it was already sold when I contacted the owner and haven't seen once since. It's the one with the open headstock, SAKB 6690.

imag0807.

16. I'm pretty sure that body is not Alder. If I were to venture a guess I'd call it Luan, a type of SE Asia mahogany. I'm sure some regular from the Luthiers corner will chime in.

17. FUNKYGIGI83

FUNKYGIGI83

Dec 18, 2017
    Now I get I'm not supposed to talk about value but also on the smick fandom page it says the color it comes bin is tobacco sunrise and this is solid black does that matter