Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow so I'm really mad....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Corbis, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    So my band has a really big gig tommorrow at a bar 2 towns over and my guitarist calls me today and says that his dad won't let him go. This makes me angry since he knew about it 2 weeks ago and my singer's folks said they'd even come along if it made him feel better.

And no, my guitarist isn't failing classes (As and Bs), hasn't done anything wrong and told him about it 2 weeks ago. Plus we've played in bars before.

It seems to me that they don't relieze that the band is an entertainer, its unprofessinol to cancel at the last minute since we'll never get asked back and this bar is a very big place for local music.

I just don't get it.

2. I dunno. Some people just don't understand at all...um...it sucks?

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I personally would speak to his parents. Ask why they have made this decision. Listen to their side and see if you can come to a comprimise that still allows you guys to play your gig. Explain to them the importance, the professionalism required, and most of all be respectful. Maybe you guys can turn this around. Good luck.

4. Yeah...but how old are you guys? I can understand if he is a minor...maybe if they come out, or if another parent is there "chaperoning" the band that would help? Let us know how it turns out.

5. I would understand it if this was your first bar gig, but like you said, you've already played at bars before. Strange.

Don't cancel the gig if he still can't go. Figure something out.

As a side note, bar gigs aren't that good are they? Try to aim for wineries and fairs/festivals -- those are much better.

6. I will soon be quitting my main band because of a similar situation to this. Our first gig breaking into a new city about an hour and a half drive from here, and his mum wouldn't let him go b/c it was snowing. The guy is 21 years old... I've been playing with these guys for 3 years now but the lack of committment and professionalism has really been pissing me off lately.

I'm guessing your guitarist doesn't have anything to do with booking or the business side of the band? If so he might have a bit more respect for the situation.