1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WoW! (Sterling, Fender Jazz surprise small town musician)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ihateusernames, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    It's really that simple, this post is my drawn out WoW!

Visited a handful of music stores the last couple of days in search of a Spector for sampling to determine if I want to play one as much as I like to hear them recorded. Until now I'm torn between installing new electronics in a Schecter which I love or just putting that couple hundred toward a new instrument and a P/J Spector is at the top of the list.

Alas, none where to be found - however, I've always been curious about a Sterling with maple fretboard and picked one up. The store has this nice little box loaded with a buttkicker and some sort of preamp with headphones for 'silent' demos. The neck profile and nut width are great on these things, the small body eliminates my biggest gripe about the Stingray. From the first plugged in note it instantly went to the top of my must have list. What a marvelous one trick pony - a powerful commanding sound with no processing and eq set to flat. The mids have an amazing crunch and the playability is suberb.

For comparison I've always been curious why the Geddy Lee gets so much love over other Fender models so I picked one up, plugged in, and was left with the realization that I am not a passive Fender fan. It was definately a Jazz bass tone, but in comparison to the Sterling just not what I want to hear without a good bit of outboard processing. A bigger surprise to me was how the neck feels on the Geddy, or rather my reaction to how it feels. I don't care for the extra thin profile and that was one of the things I expected to like the most. The instrument as a whole felt much less substantial than the the Sterling.

Decision on upgrade vs. new machine is made - now I need to compare a Spector, Sterling, and try a Bongo as well.

2. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    the sterlings are cool. definately on the top of my new bass list. wouldn't mind a ric either.

my geddy jazz (especially now with EMGs) is a very neutral bass almost flat sounding. that's why it works so well for the studio and in different amps and recording plug-ins, etc. because you aren't making the trade off of having to EQ out or pad the honk or clank or mud other basses have naturally.

i found the bongos i've tried (besides not my cup of tea visually) to be more hifi sounding that stingrays or sterlings. i like the 24 frets, but the bongo seemed hard to find a natural solid tone that didn't seem... EQ'ed.

i think sterlings have a little more edge to them as stingrays have a bit more fullness tonewise. the pick-ups used (magnet type) and body size may account for this.

Spectors with EMGs just rule. They have a very specific tone and may not be the best for an Oldies band, but for modern or heavy rock, perfect. I think it's not just the EMGs but the maple body. The best example is Operation Mindcrime or the Black Album.

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really wanted to like the Sterling (I love Stingrays), but it just didn't click with me. It just seemed too small, and kind of flimsy. Almost like a toy.

4. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    Exactly why I must have one - hopefully when I get my hands on one I'm as giddy as after playing the Sterling!

5. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Operation Mindcrime rules!