1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wow, talk about a blast from the past!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Barber, May 1, 2004.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    One of my gigs is doing contract work for a violin shop. Today I went in and there was an electric bass case sitting there that looked vaguely familiar. It was in for electronics work. When I opened it up... shock! It was a bass I built back in 1979; in fact, the very first bass I ever made from scratch. It's a big, heavy neck-through, weighs about 10.5 pounds and has a neck suitable for taking batting practice :D But what fun to see it again; it's been through the wars, and I am really going to enjoy fixing it up and giving it a little TLC. Right now the wiring looks like somebody's dashboard after the stereo has been ripped off. I know it was owned by the bassist of a blues band at one point, and apparently was recently found in a pawn shop by a friend of the original owner, who bought it back. Just thought you all might get a kick out of seeing this... I sure did!

[​IMG]

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very Cool.

Lookls very Alembic-ish.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    and at the same time , i reminds me of an aluminum necked Kramer I once owned- with the turtle tail and white DiMarzio pups.. that's very forward thinking TB!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats what jumped into my mind when i saw the picture.

5. It just has a red box with an X in the middle where the pic is supposed to be for me :crying: Nevermind, I reloaded and it worked.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That is a pretty cool bass, I totally dig it. It really has that
    vintage custom vibe.

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I just noticed the case looks like it was custom made for it.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    How do you know it was yours?

Like did you put a SN on it or something? or is more like a "I know my babies" kinda deal?

9. Tim's gonna answer in a minute I'm sure, but that question takes the cake!? :rolleyes:

Let's see - a one of a kind, neck through, built in 1978 that doesn't look like any other bass in the world -

Who else would recognize it except the builder and whoever owned it?

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I was just asking.

11. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Actually I made the case, too. Which I will never do again.

By a happy coincidence, the brain cells holding the memory of designing and building it are still relatively intact.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haha.. good to know Tim ;).
    I thought Alembic when I first saw it as well. The control layout is a bit funky, but the workmanship looks nice. Definately has a vintage vibe to it's look. :)

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey Timmy - you shoulda dropped a note in the case for the owner - something like "Hey, I remember having built this bass and was pleasantly surprised to see it again - Hope you're enjoying it, Timmy B".

If it's still in the shop you could swing back by and do it, I know I'd be jazzed to find a surprise like that in my case after one of them's been in for repair or something.

14. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Actually I talked to him on the phone for about half an hour. Interesting story. He sold it to a student and lost track of it back in the 80's. Then 8 years ago he hit a moose going 60 mph and had to have reconstructive surgery; was unable to play until about a year ago. And now his old bass has showed up again. (cue violins)