Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow, talk about a blast from the past!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Barber, May 1, 2004.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    One of my gigs is doing contract work for a violin shop. Today I went in and there was an electric bass case sitting there that looked vaguely familiar. It was in for electronics work. When I opened it up... shock! It was a bass I built back in 1979; in fact, the very first bass I ever made from scratch. It's a big, heavy neck-through, weighs about 10.5 pounds and has a neck suitable for taking batting practice :D But what fun to see it again; it's been through the wars, and I am really going to enjoy fixing it up and giving it a little TLC. Right now the wiring looks like somebody's dashboard after the stereo has been ripped off. I know it was owned by the bassist of a blues band at one point, and apparently was recently found in a pawn shop by a friend of the original owner, who bought it back. Just thought you all might get a kick out of seeing this... I sure did!

[​IMG]

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very Cool.

Lookls very Alembic-ish.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    and at the same time , i reminds me of an aluminum necked Kramer I once owned- with the turtle tail and white DiMarzio pups.. that's very forward thinking TB!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats what jumped into my mind when i saw the picture.

5. It just has a red box with an X in the middle where the pic is supposed to be for me :crying: Nevermind, I reloaded and it worked.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That is a pretty cool bass, I totally dig it. It really has that
    vintage custom vibe.

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I just noticed the case looks like it was custom made for it.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    How do you know it was yours?

Like did you put a SN on it or something? or is more like a "I know my babies" kinda deal?

9. Tim's gonna answer in a minute I'm sure, but that question takes the cake!? :rolleyes:

Let's see - a one of a kind, neck through, built in 1978 that doesn't look like any other bass in the world -

Who else would recognize it except the builder and whoever owned it?

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I was just asking.

11. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Actually I made the case, too. Which I will never do again.

By a happy coincidence, the brain cells holding the memory of designing and building it are still relatively intact.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haha.. good to know Tim ;).
    I thought Alembic when I first saw it as well. The control layout is a bit funky, but the workmanship looks nice. Definately has a vintage vibe to it's look. :)

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey Timmy - you shoulda dropped a note in the case for the owner - something like "Hey, I remember having built this bass and was pleasantly surprised to see it again - Hope you're enjoying it, Timmy B".

If it's still in the shop you could swing back by and do it, I know I'd be jazzed to find a surprise like that in my case after one of them's been in for repair or something.

14. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Actually I talked to him on the phone for about half an hour. Interesting story. He sold it to a student and lost track of it back in the 80's. Then 8 years ago he hit a moose going 60 mph and had to have reconstructive surgery; was unable to play until about a year ago. And now his old bass has showed up again. (cue violins)