1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wow!! TC Electronic Classic450 just sent my Acoutic Image to the back room

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jibreel, Apr 23, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Never thought I would see the day when my Acoustic Image amp would be put in second place. Specifically, because my main basses are Turner fretless piezo and no other amp has come close to the AI for the true sound of the Turners.

The TC is just more of everything while retaining the clarity of my bass. Amazing.

I am still using the AI speakers which I love for both sound and how small they are. However, they are 4 ohms so I can only use one directly. However, a great use for the AI is as a power amp only so I can use the TC for tone and the AI for powering two speakers if I need it.

I play small venues so one speaker is almost always enough.

It is great to make a purchase and be so happy with it.

2. Cool! I can totally see why an AI fan would also dig the TC RH450 and Classic... warm, fat, organic up top, but more punch and definition to my ear. I love the way my RH450 sounds with my Rob Allen (I assume similar in design to your Turner), at the default (i.e., Classic) EQ points... just dialing back a touch of low end and boosting the mids a touch.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Cool!

I am finding that the RH450 sounds equally great with my Squier VM Jazz fretless, Benavente fretless 5er and NS WAV EUB.

This blows my mind as I defiantely cannot make the same positive comment about my GK or Genz Benz amps.

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Classic450 moved my DB750 second in line.
    Now that's an accomplishment IMO.

5. richnota

richnota Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Why choose the classic vs. another model? For my RA and Turners.

Are the cabinets a "must buy"?

6. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    My Classic450 and (2) RS210 setup made me sell my SVT II Non-Pro and Bergantino NV215...that is how good it is. Remarkable amps!

7. The Classic is less expensive, and has fewer bells and whistles... no tuner, no presets, and fixed (non semi parametric EQ). The RH450 with the four tone controls in their factory preset frequency center/shelving points sounds identical to the Classic450.

With the Rob Allens, the default frequency points are quite good. On the clip I have posted in my youtube channel, I just cut the bass a touch and boosted the low mids and upper mids just slightly, and cut to the top end, which resulted in pretty nicely controlling the big wide lows and sizzly top end of the piezo pickup.

I really dig the little RS210, but wouldn't call it a 'must buy' with that head. HOWEVER, I've found the RH450, even with all the EQ power, to be just a touch picky regarding cab pairing (although I found the exact same thing with the AI amps, which have a bit of that warm, mid presence that I hear in the Classic/RH450). It can sound a bit mid present and dull due to where those hi pass and low pass filters are set with some of the wider voiced cabs that I own. It sounds magnificent with the RS210 though, and for the price, that has to be one of the best deals on the market for a 210!

IMO! If you have the extra $200 or so, IMO the RH450 is a no brainer. You can ignore all the presets, etc., and it will perform the same as the Classic, and you get the very nice tuner on-board.

8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Nope, the classic handles cabs in "daisy chain" for a single Speakon output on the back. I use mine with Aguilar DB112 and DB112NT cabs.

9. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Did some more A/B ing this morning.

Both of these are amazing amps. I am still being blown away by the TC. The AI is also very, very good. The TC controls are a little more challenging in that the slightest turn of the tone knobs produces a substantial change. This is less noticeable on the AI amp. Takes some getting used to.

There is something about the AI amp that really works well with the Turner bass with TI acousticore strings. I may stick with the AI amp when I play this bass. However, the TC still rules with my other basses.

I now have it set up as follows: TC preamp out into the return jack on the AI. So the AI is the slave into the two AI speakers. :D

10. I too really like the AI amp tone with piezo loaded instruments, although I can get very close with the TC amp.

Also, many of us look at it the other way with the EQ... the TC EQ works like most other amps, the AI EQ does next to nothing when you turn the knobs:p

11. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Just goes to show how long I have been living in an AI only world :bag:

12. Hey, nothing wrong with that!

13. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's kind of the way the DB750 EQ works too, you have to make big adjustments for tone changes to be noticeable.

With the TC, I cut or boost 0.5-1 number and it's more than enough. I also found that cutting Bass just a tad in live gigs, makes the amp have more headroom and cut through better. This is of course with PA support, where my rig doesn't need to produce that huge low end.