1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wow, that's a vote of confidence.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    :eek:

The drummer from my last band called me up today. He wants to give me a copy of Rush's new CD to learn songs off of it to play in two weeks.

He has a friend who is a pretty gifted guitarist. The friend wants to jam on Labor Day weekend. So they needed a bass player.

I used to practice a LOT. I don't anymore, not like I used to. I don't have the chops I had back then. But even when I was comparatively a monster I don't think I could have just casually picked Geddy's bass parts.

But isn't it cool to find out your friends and former bandmates think you can function on that level?

I hope nobody is all that disappointed come Labor Day.

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    hey, good stuff! maybe you're better than you think you are.

Bard, you're gonna ROCK those Geddy lines come Labor Day. ROCK them!:bassist:

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Just get out there and rock it, and be thankful that the parts on Snakes and Arrows are nothing compared to what he was doing at the end of the 1980's! :)

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'll find out in the morning. He said he was leaving a copy of Snakes and Arrows in his mailbox for me to pick up on the way home in the morning.

Like I said, I am entirely aware of what my capabilities are, and unfortunately what they aren't. I'm not the player I used to be.

But Geddy is still Geddy.

Dammit. :crying:

5. My suggestion? Don't touch the bass, load up the CD on a walkman/ipod/whatever, and just walk around town for a while listening to it. Not the basslines, but the CD. Once you're familiar with the music, the lines will come naturally. Try to do something fun while you're at it when you first listen to the CD - I was on my morning walk to school when I first fired it up, so about three of the tracks are now associated with fresh coffee to me. ;)

Once you make it an enjoyable experience, you'll pick it up ridiculously fast. But Chris is right - It's awesome stuff, but not quite as tendon-destroyingly complex as some of the stuff from the 80s.