Wow this 8" thing goes low!!! (My first "Baby Blue on steroids" DIY cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Avezzano, Nov 4, 2011.

1. So, I had this continuous buzzing "bug" in my head to check these Fane 8" speakers for sale at Thomann; so much watts for so little money (36 euro):

FANE SOVEREIGN 8-225 - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Speaker specifications on the Fane website

Being basically a jazz player, I was always intrigued by the Baby Blue concept: vertical placement for a lesser stage footprint (very useful in the pubs) and having the speaker closer to my head (I always play sat). So I say "what the heck: how difficult could this be..." and I built a cabinet according to the Fane suggestions that recommend 20 to 30 litres (for one speaker).

With 15 mm plywood I realised this 59 litres (gros, more likely 58 net) cabinet that has very similar overall dimensions to the Baby Blue (mine is 50 mm taller): w340 x d350 x h670 mm (external dimensions). I asked to John K to be soo patient with this absolute beginner and to please give me some numbers for the ports and he came out with two ports 80 (diameter) x 74 (depth) mm that should tune the cab at 60 hz. (Thanks, John you are the best!!!). The front panel is recessed 20 mm. I also added a piezo with a 10 ohm resistor in parallel to stabilise it (I don't know what does this exactly mean: I have this collegue that is a real electronics wizard and just trusted him !!!) and a 10 uF capacitor to cut/protect it below the 3/4000 hz area. Total cost including everything (wood, grills, wheels and all the details) is a hair below 200 euro. Not bad for a 450 w cabinet!!! :)

Voilà:

rt1efc.jpg

mmyiw9.jpg

ivk949.jpg

Now, I can only tell you that this thing goes LOW!!! And drinks up 450 watts while being even and smooth as response amp/freq. At least to my ears...!!! If you are looking for a... Baby Blue on steroids (!!!) I strongly advise to build a cab like this. I am super happy about it and.... oh, ok: I will stop, now!!! :hyper:

2. Congrats. Thats one sweet lookin cab you got there. Very professional looking for a DIY.

3. Thanks!!! I even tried to place much attention to the details, as having the wheels below or properly recessing the upper handle to have it completely flush. I had to buy this small handle in... UK (!!!!) because I could not find one small enough here in Italy! Can you believe it? It is solid as a tank and drinks power and power: I was shaking the walls of my house today!!!!

:rolleyes:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Half of that cab looks slightly bigger than my Ampeg BA108, and I have zero complaints about the low end of it. It's very light duty and only costs $100, but it's got some junk in the trunk.

Hmmm, I wonder what one of those Fanes would sound like in the BA108...briefly considered trying an Alpha 8 in it since Fane's probably a little expensive in America. Might do it somewhere down the line, but yeah, I was quite surprised at how the BA108 delivers for such a cheap little practice amp. And now Greenboy is designing a fEarful with 8"s. So it looks like 8" fever is gripping the bass nation ;)

5. if you order directly in Germany at Thomann (unless I read it wrong, but better check this by yourself. Shoot'em an e-mail: [email protected]) you only pay 20 euro for S&H. It seems that: you buy a clarinet? 20 euro. You buy ten amplifiers and 12 trombones all at once? Always you pay only 20 euro for s&h etc..

yes: definitely! I am.... surprised! There is no other word to convey my feeling listening to this little cab going so low and so powerful!!!! And with a fingerprint so small. Ok... Now I go to have my dinner... really satisfied!!!

;)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The Fane is $8-10 more than the Alpha in the US. I think I could do better than 20 euro shipping, though...that's close to $40 US ;)

7. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    So it looks like 8" fever is gripping the bass nation

YYyeaah!

8. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    Don't underestimate 8's - they do go low and still move a significant amount of air - all depends what you need. If you are after a lightweight jazz rig with lots of lows then four 8's would probably do you fine. They will probably move as much air as a 12 anyway. Two 8's would do a rehearsal or a very capable practice rig and one 8 - well markbass have recently released theirs - its much better than the 6 type rig - 8's is the first step on the ladder to proper bass (but only in multiples if volume matters....).

There are a few good 8's on the market but there is even a bigger choice for you than for larger speakers - do you want tight sound and volume or lows and laid back smoothness? the choice is yours.

Drivers start around £16 each.... and have as low as 30 Hz resonance - ok - you got me interested - time to build a new cab!

9. yes, you're probably right if you need to play in a stadium or so, but trust me: this damn 2x8 is already way LOUD as it is (don't forget it is a full 450 w RMS / 4 ohms cab!!! For me it's plain unbelievable!!!

10. what I would like to know is what are the best 8" replacements for my Henry the 8th Jr. I used to love that cab and I would love to reinstate it especially if I could reinvent it with Neo spks ?

peace K

11. it depends on the impedence, needed power, how much you want to spend etc. For me:

Faital option 1

Faital option 2

Faital option 3

P.S.: In Italy Faital does not even cost so much. Shoot'em an email, they very probably could sell direct.

12. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Looks like a cool little cab!

13. yes, man! Definitely :) V.

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    nice job on the cab. it looks great.
    it's starting to sound like that 8's are the new 10's. ;)

15. yes! It is maybe because technology improves by the day, so a performance that was ten years ago only achieved by a 10" is now within reach also for the 8" (or sort of)!!!!

;)

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Good job!

I've been gigging 8" loaded cabs for years; they're not "new," just under-used compared to the rest of the marketplace.

17. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Never tried any 8's. But I am going to. Nice job on the cab!!

18. Thanks!!! You know what? Now that I have tried with my ears/hands/eyes how good a 8" cab can be, just do not understand

a) why 8" cabs/combos are not more common, yet

b) why in the world SWR dropped the Baby Blue in favour of this more "banal" Spellbinder combo!!!

c) why none ever copied the Baby Blue concept. None, never...

you know, the vertical placement (smaller stage footprint), the speakers closer to the ear, the amp controls closer to the hands, the compact size objectively made it a real winning combo...!!!

:atoz:

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "Why isn't it more commercially successfull?"

Because it's different.
    Generally speaking, people don't want, or understand different.
    Thus the raging success of 410 cabs.
    There are many better ways to skin that cat, but, it's what everyone is used to, seen for years, and assume is best.

20. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    12's are the new 15 - faster, better dispersion and now with modern tech, they push pretty much as much air.

8's therefore are also potentially a replacement for 10's - however, there are a lot out there but not that many pro-audio sensitivities which also go low - you generally get a choice of low or loud not both.

you could make up a cab with a mixture in separate cavities. It would be lightweight and also loud. Also, if you want to do anything fancy (like my transmission lines etc) the channels can be a lot smaller too (volume and diameter, not length)making the whole rig more compact.

Watch this space. Will be doing one soon.

Tim

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021