Wow this 8" thing goes low!!! (My first "Baby Blue on steroids" DIY cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Avezzano, Nov 4, 2011.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Whatever size speaker I like is highly dependent on two things...the speaker and the cab it's in. I like good 15" cabs and I dislike bad 15" cabs, for example...I feel much the same about cabs with 8"s ;)

2. I just now took posession of a BB1 and was thinking this exact same thing. Running an FEA labs compressor pedal in the effects loop and it's a thing to behold.

20 years old and it kicks it out.

3. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
  4. I've regretted it every time I put the wheels on top and had to drag the cabinet everywhere....

Randy

5. I am afraid this is against the politically correct "matching cab" policy!! :rolleyes:

I am doing myself now a small 10 + 6 in separate chambers, too and it is going to be a little solid "rock"!!!

io3z49.jpg

Wow: that is a beautiful robust cab!!! But now I have my own... "Baby Black" !!!

ok, ok: me and my poor english deserved it!!! :rolleyes:

6. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nice! Do you find that the 60 Hz tuning and (per the specs page you linked to) "Usable frequency range, -6 dB, 55 Hz - 5 kHz" of the 8" drivers give you full, satisfactory low notes? (And are you playing with a low E, or a low B?)

It looks like a nice cab, and you're obviously happy with its performance. I'm toying with the idea of attempting a small cab or two for myself, and hadn't considered 8"s.

7. a) yes, it goes definitely low and "well rounded"!!!

b) Low B. I never play anymore 4 strings.

Fact is that I rarely use to tweak my controls on my Nemesis (ported) 2x10 combo, because it is mostly ok as it is, when flat. With this new cab I also tend to play flat and use the controls on the bass; but having recently bought a used LMK II (270 euro including the backpack: not bad, uh?) I see that if I just turn on and on the lows or mid lows of the amp this little monster just digs lower and lower without efforts or distortion!!! Remember that it actually is a 450 watt cab!!!

do it. Now! And with a couple of 8"!! It's way much fun!!! :D

MarkA: take a look at the Baby Blue thread below, to have a "second opinion" about 8" cabs performance!!! :)

this lucky guy!!!

8. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Just noticed the link you posted and listened to some of the clips on that page. Nice sounding cab! On the upright clips, though, it sounds like a fair amount of sound is coming off the actual instrument -- as it would in most gigs, but I don't know that that's the most accurate way to hear the sound of the *cab*.

9. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "sound coming off the instrument, as it would in most gigs"

Depends on how loud the gig is, IME.
    Even if I'm playing a smallish gig with bass, piano, drums, there's a large portion of my sound coming off the amp.

For a blues or jazz gig with a full band, you probably don't hear my db, acoustically speaking, and it's all amp.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's exactly the way I hear it. F'rinstance, I did my little upright restaurant jazz gig where I use my 25w BA108 just to get it up a little louder than the upright itself. Another dude got up and jammed with us last week on my bass, and other than the string clicks, I heard the bass from the amp almost entirely. Then I did my 50's-60's rock gig where I used my B-15 and played louder in a larger place, and it was all amp.

11. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Okay, Chef, Jimmy, you guys have a point. The louder the gig, the higher the amp:bass ratio. I guess I was thinking of settings you could almost pull off acoustically, but where it wouldn't hurt to have a little assist from a speaker. I used to go see a friend play trio and quartet gigs on a really small stage at a local pub when I was in college. I remember hearing 2/3 of the sound from his bass, 1/3 to 1/2 at most from his little GK combo.

My point re. the aguilar recordings was that, in my cursory skim of the doublebass tracks (on my cheap headphones), it sounded to me like a good bit of the recorded sound was coming off the bass, which seemed to me like not the most honest representation of the ability of the cab to reproduce a doublebass faithfully. Of course 1) I might not have been listening that well 2) John Pattituci's bass and pickup and/or mic and/or blender combination might be a lot nicer than I was accustomed to when I was 19 and last messed with that stuff 3) the amp/cab used might simply be that good.

I do think it's really cool of Aguilar to put those clips up on their site, and my first impression of the sounds gotten out of the cab was certainly positive.

Now, to minimize derailment, I wonder how our Baby Blue on steroids would sound with upright? It would be interesting to compare it to other popular, compact cabs.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well like I said, you could hear the highs and upper upper mids from the bass itself on my little gig, which would make it like you're hearing it mostly from the bass itself. I listened to those recordings and I totally get what you're saying...it does sound like there's a mic on it. But I'd like to think they ran it into the cab too, since it was meant to be a demo for the cab.

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    as for the cab, now that there's a whole bunch of high-powered, full-featured bass amps that'll actually fit on top of a little box like that, i could see a resurgence in the design.

throw in two 4Ω or two 16Ω speakers to make it an 8Ω cab (to keep it from getting too overpowered) and plop a GB streamliner on it, and you've got something!

14. I only play electric; I tell you that this thing is loud & clean; I crank it with the LMK II. But I honestly think it could be ok with the upright anyway: I tried with my Stylist B1 hollowbody and it gives a realistic, true "hollow" sound.

I don't know how much an Aggie would cost, but I am super satisfied having invested 200 euro in this project. If in doubt, you could reduce the size and the overall cost, using only one Sovereign speaker for a single 8 ohm 225 watt compact cab; leave it for awhile without the carpet covering, corners etc. and you'll spend far less than 100 euro.... try it; see if you like it or need to extend the concept... then you can either make a second twin cab or just enlarge the original to host a second speaker etc... plenty of options for you to start experimenting and having real fun yourself.

;)

look: to me it would be better suited a 4 ohm cab, to take advantage of the amp full power. I you think of it, normally for small pub gigs you'll never add another cabinet and the right companion for a small cab like this is something like the G&K MB200 (200w max on 4 ohm) that would be then compatible with two 100 w 8 ohm cones in parallel. For my own cab, I selected the more powerful speakers (225 w 8 ohm each) because:

1) the 225 watt speaker goes a hair lower than the 125 watt one and

2) it only costs... a few euro more than the 125 watt version!!!

so in the end it came out as a... little monster!!!

;)

P.S.: Link to the DB 285 JC for sale at Amazon...

699 usd special price

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021