1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wow, this guy really hates Pachelbel's Canon!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Dec 20, 2006.

1. :p

- Dave

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    oddly, it was through TB that I first found this! I quite liked it, and I love the tune too.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    haha, that guy is pretty funny.

4. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    that is really funny.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    That would have been funnier if he hadn't been playing guitar the whole time. I had to quit halfway because that's all I could focus on. "Why does he keep playing that?" I kept thinking. Maybe later it says something, but I hate repetative tunes. :meh:

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    EU
    Funny :)

7. That was the whole point. The fact that not only are those chords repeated ad nauseum in the work but those chords are part of so many other songs that you can't escape them.

- Dave

8. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
    That was really funny.

9. That was awesome :)

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    funny stuff

11. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    lol that was just classic...erm I mean baroque.

12. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I'm jumping on the "that was really funny" bandwagon because I must admit that it really was. :)
    My wife and I talked about it after I watched it ( guffawing loudly as I watched) and she confirmed that those same chords/notes were used in many songs in many areas of music. I thought that was pretty strange. Maybe that's why those songs got popular? Who knows?
    Anyway, that guy was great and was a pretty good geetar player/singer.

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    he transposed some though, to fit that key. i believe basket case starts on Eb, not D... but still, same progression (almost).

anyway, he was wrong about the VH1 reference to the Baroque in the 1790s. the Baroque period started in about 1600 and lasted until about 1750. 1790 was during the Classical period .

14. Good stuff. :)

Surprised he didn't mention JerryC, one of the first YouTube phenoms:

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Haha, thats funny, i just heard that song playing on the last schoolday before holidays (today):/

16. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I loved the "He's the original one hit wonder" part :)

17. That was friggin' hilarious. Never realized how many songs used that progression. That guy's delivery was spot on too, I'd like to hear more from him.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm sure the joke would have been much funnier if he had said the proper year rather than one that parodied the actual "I love the 90s" VH1 show :eyebrow:

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm not weird but I found myself playing bass along with him. I realized that "Do you know...where you're going to" yada yada - by the Supremes chick, uses the progression too.

20. He was witty and original, but he kept saying, "Pak-a-bell."

Isn't the composer's name pronounced, "Pak-el-bell?"

10 points off! :D

Mike