Wow this is scary!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Mar 13, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

This has me worried being that I work at Mayo clinic and see sick people in large numbers!! I watched Pneumonia and flu pass thru like the plague once htis year. You could literaly see it get passed from one person to the next.

I had pneumonia for the first time this year and had a viral cold thing that completely knocked me down.
  2. That's disturbing news...

I want more stories about puppies dammit!!!!

Wasn't there a big flu-"esque" scare a few years back in Hong Kong, sorta like "Mad chicken" disease or something?
  3. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    well my lead singer just got over double pneumonia.. about 2 weeks ago.. we thought we were gonna have to cancel our starbucks gig...
    oh yeah we got invited by the city to play.. a semi HUGE the end of march with about 6000 people showing up.. im happy man!

The sad thing is.. while my lead singer was still recovering at home..we were over a band talking about our situation.. and he goes outside barefooted in 25 degree weather and smokes a ciggerrette..

btw. isn't double pneumonia a risk of smoking?!!?!!
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

The article said that a the majority of all the health care workers in contact fell ill. Some to the point of being on a ventilator. That is freakin serious.
  5. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i blame pharmaceutical companies. mutating virii, animal diseases jumping to humans, outbreaks of unknown diseases... this is what fuels their companies and i would not put it past them to take advantage of such situations. i am much more frightened of the silent killer-corporates than any army.
  6. i read that article the other day. scared the crap out of me. this is some serious stuff. odie, load up on vitamin c or whatever dude. and take care of yourself. use gloves, masks, whatever at all times. i know you can't, but still. please take care of yourself.
  7. mmmmmmmm... mayo...

This is really starting to creep me out...
  8. hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know respiratory disease is more prevalent in eastern Asia Pac because of the high particulate in the air. I don't know if this can increase susceptibility.

Curiously, the fellow quarantined in Frankfurt was from NYC. :-(

So, some cautionary measures:
    - wash your hands
    - cover your mouth when you sneeze/cough

I can't stand it when people don't cover their mouth.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

AH but did you not read there are cases in Canada.

Almost every person who took care of one of these patients in asia has gotten sick.
  10. Hey! No fair! Only Britain is allowed mad animals!!! :D
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  12. hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I didn't see the cases in Canada; I wonder if they were in Vancouver to Toronto.

I just read the most recent AP/Yahoo blurb. I see the woman had visited Hong Kong soon before coming down with the disease.

Guongszhou is nead HK, btw.

I am guessing it was near Vancouver.

I was surprised to read that the doctor got on a plane after having treated these folks. Surely he was aware of the possibility that he was infected and of the rate of infection.

The air on planes, as well, increases susceptibility.

I wonder if there is an outbreak, if China's economy will be effected?
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I haven't received notice about this on the hospitals I do my learning, we pretty much hang around without protection.

I'll go ask my pneumology teacher about this

thanks for the heads up!
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Have any of you heard about SARS, or otherwise called atypical pneumonia that started in Asia, but has already claimed two lives in Canada and may be spreading? It is highly contagious and very difficult to cure. Anyone who gets it, then feels better, quickly relaspes and suffers respiratory distress similar to pneumonia. As health officials can't find the cause, they don't know how to cure it.

It has spread rapidly to health workers who have cared for victims of the disease. I find it kind of scary. The World Health Organization is urging people not to travel to Asia unless it is urgent.

It starts out like flu with a high fever, but then turns into this kind of pneumonia. I hope that authorities can find out what is causing it and help those who are suffering with it...also keep it from spreading like Ebola. It sounds more like a science fiction movie or book, but it is real. Someone at the U.S. Center for Disease Control said they don't have reason to believe it is terrorism that started the infection, but they are keeping "their minds open."

Anyway, be alert. I hopes this dies out, but with the speed people travel these days, a highly contageous disease could go all around the world in a hurry. (Just one more thing to worry about.)
  15. Boplicity

That's twice this week I did the same thing. I read all the thread titles. Nothing mentioned SARS or a new epidemic or disease. I guess I shouldn't post a new thread without reading EVERY thread, but that takes too long. So I guess I won't post new threads, dang it! Why can't thread titles be clearer? I worked for a magazine for ten years. We believed headlines and titles had to relay clear information.

But anyway, if you guys want to delete this duplicate thread, please do so. I seem to have developed a habit of stepping on folks' toes. :bawl:
  16. Boplicity

You are talking about avian flu, chicken flu. That didn't go away. In fact, it is "flourishing" right now as we speak and has reached the U.S. infecting chickens in one of the largest chicken farms here.

One of the things being researched right now is whether these two diseases are related.

Check this web site:

Check the March 16 article about Connecticut taking measures to combat avain chicken flu in Kofkoff chickens.