1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WOW this is tough - I need help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 27, 2010.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I haven't had much pedal GAS for a good while now (or GAS of any sort, really, apart from fairly mild cravings for recording gear). But I have to confess that the ads for the MXR Bass Envelope Filter got me, and bad. I've had a couple of other filters in the past that just didn't get "the sound in my head", but as soon as I heard the sound clips for this baby, I was sure it was what I was after. So I ordered one last week, and I have to wait... just a few more days... must hang on... :bawl:

I've even reorganised my board ready for its arrival. I haven't been looking forward so much to a new piece of gear for ages. I really shouldn't let a little purple box get to me this way. OMG, I want this pedal, dammit!!

M82 owners, tell me about your first experience with your MXR funkfest. It will either kill or cure me. I've read Jauqo's owners' reviews thread, but I need more! :bassist:

And while I'm on - what order are you guys running your filter and octave pedals? I will try both options, but I suspect filter before octave will be the way to go and would be interested if you're in that camp or the alternative one.

2. g&lplayer

g&lplayer

Feb 24, 2010
    Chicago
    Okay, so two things. First off did you ever try the DoD envelope filters? Im thinking of getting one because its not that versatile, but the one sound it does, it can do REALLY well. ALSO, im sick of not knowing the answer to this: what the *&*$ does GAS stand for? I see it all over these forums and cant get any explanation no matter how many times i search.

3. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    isnt it Gear Acquisition Syndrome ?? i have a seemingly terminal case ; )

4. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    is this ^^^^^^ whats known as a thread hijack?? lol

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    BassyBill,

For what it's worth, I've always liked the sound of an octaver before a filter and not the reverse. Not only does the tone sound much better (to my ears) it allows the octaver to track better.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Ooh, I should have mine tomorrow, can't wait for it, :hyper:

7. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Ta! Makes sense. But I will try both ways as I said. I'm sure we'll hear two sides of the coin here (at least). ;)

GAS = gear acquisition syndrome, yes. It's the second most powerful emotion a musician can experience.

8. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Oh, forgot to say - never tried the DOD filter, I'm afraid. I've tried a couple of other DOD pedals and never been overwhelmed. That says nothing about their filter, though, of course.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The old DOD FX25 is a tremendous sounding filter. Here's a video that gives a very good representation of it's sound:

The issues with it are (1) it can produce huge volume spikes (2) being a band pass filter, it can cause you to disappear in the mix during it's sweep and (3) it doesn't have the greatest construction.

The MXR seemingly fixes most of those concerns. The new MXR stuff seems solidly built, it has clean and wet controls to keep low end and reign in the filter sound as well as a Q control to keep it under control.

From clips it isn't as "wild" sounding as the DOD and it doesn't do the old Bill Laswell "sensitivity turned down, instant dub tone" trick but otherwise it seems like a similar pedal with some welcome upgrades.

10. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    This. The most powerful is the euphoria caused by stage adrenalin (aka one of the greatest drugs EVER)

11. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Actually, as much as I dig stage adrenalin, I was thinking that something else might be the most powerful emotional drive for musicans. Here's a little clue...

[​IMG]

Anyway - BUMP for more opinions on octaver before filter or filter before octaver?

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm totally with you on the MXR filter GAS. I've been a very happy Menatone MailBomb user for over 3 yrs, but this new MXR box has me craving. And, as good as both the Carbon Copy and Bass Octave Deluxe are, the bass filter is sure to be a winner. Oh, and +1 to the octave before filter suggestion. Of course, try it both ways, but you'll end up octave first. Have fun with it, I'm jealous.

13. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I get mine tomorrow!!!!!!

I was also curious as to which order I was going to run the filter and octave pedals.

14. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    @ bassybill.
    did you order it from the UK or US?

15. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    UK - Digital Village. Easy for me to collect when it comes in.

16. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    cheers

17. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I once tried an octave after my groove regulator and switched them right back.

18. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Octavers can be very finicky and unforgiving.
    I ran dirt before mine though, it's like another extra dirty side.

19. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Get an M9 and set up an Octaver before...AND one after?!?!

J!

20. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Got my M82 today!!! It's all the wet, funky goodness I could've hoped for :hyper: