Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow. This sucks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    There's a beautiful Carvin LB75f sitting in a case in my room. I can't open the case because the seller forgot to include the key to open the case. The case has two well-made locks which I tried to pick and failed. This sucks.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Awwwwwww man that would suck! I'd be breaking the locks, not picking them :p. I never use locks anyway.

-Ray

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If hes sending them to you, id just wait. If hes not , ttime for fun :p

4. i cant help but to chuckle! but id be totally p'd if i was in your shoes! the seller better be sending the key EXPRESS MAIL!

teheehee :p
    *hug*

5. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    :D

I recently got my order from Warmoth for a Gecko 5... and the case was locked and no key included.

Don't you hate waiting? :p

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Wow. That DOES suck.

I have the opposite issue (not a problem, really). Both my brand new Lakland and Tacoma came with lockable hard cases, but no keys.

Why put locks on the case if you're not going to provide keys? :rollno: :rolleyes:

7. I just sold a bass to a fellow TBer, but he came and picked up the bass. If I had shipped it to him, I would have definitely forgotten to include the key. Luckily he was nice enough to ask, "where is the key?"

8. Take it to a local locksmith. Luckily, my best friend's father is a smith so he's helped me bust into my car when my electronic key was not functioning.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What's the point of those locks?

I understand a lock on a car or house, but not on a small case since you can just take the basscase/briefcase/etc.. somewhere else and spend some time breaking into it.

those locks on Fender and SKB cases are insalely easy to pick.

10. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    The Locksmith can do it without damaging the lock. Your right, that sucks. :spit:

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Actually, I didn't convey this in my post. I'm assuming that he forgot to include the key. For all I know it could be inside the locked case. He could of lost the key a while ago and is going to claim that I or UPS lost the key and deny responsibility. But I am going through the worst case scenarios and worrying for no reason. Or perhaps there's no bass in the case at all.

Speaking of past times with locks, I had a lock on my old bass case. Then one day, I brought it to a gig and forgot to bring the key. Thank whatever it was an SKB case, so I was able to bust it open using my hands; practically my pinky.

This one though is a Carvin case, and if Carvin makes their cases like they make everything else, this one's not opening for me anytime soon.

I'll take it to the locksmith tomorrow if I have time. I'm going to the beach with my family Saturday. I need to get my crap together. And that will delay me playing this bass for the rest of the summer.

12. I'm with Nino...why would you ever lock a case? My carvin tweed case has locks that I've never used. In fact, the keys are inside the case in the accessory compartment.

By the way, if you can't open the case, how do you know that there's a LB75f inside and not a ....*GASP*....wishbass??? :D

13. ^^^he means he's with Nick Man

14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Wishbasses fit in cases?

15. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Who would bother putting a Wish bass in a case?
    I wouldn't want to damage the case :D

16. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Call 911 & request the "Jaws of Life".
    I believe Carvin cases are made by SKB.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, bummer. My entire stack of Fender and G&L cases all have locks. I have not a single key.

Locksmith, it's got to be an easy single cut thing...

18. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Here is a reason for locks on cases:

I play at my church with a church praise band, and at churches, children quite frequently run around and dig into things. And not even little children, I'm talking teenagers (yes, I am a teenager, but I can respect another musicians instrument). Anyways, putting up my bass and locking it keeps it from getting damaged, or handled without my knowledge.

Maybe that means I care too much for my instrument? I don't know... It just bothers me when someone that I don't know has my bass out banging away on it.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  20. Yes...him, too