1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wow this thing is deep

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Feb 21, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I had to review what little I know about envelope filters and then read some more to understand this pedal.

It's pretty disappointing out of the box because turning knobs this way and that doesn't do much. The effect seemed subtle to non existent.

So I RTFM and realized that this thing isn't the typical effect pedal designed around the limitations of a bass or even a guitar.

All the controls are designed to work with anything from drums to keyboards and so the range of adjustment can go beyond what a bass can use. It is also very easy to turn the knobs past the useful settings.

Once I got the hang of things I was able to coax some good sounds out of it. I can even manipulate it like a manual wah if I connect an exp pedal to it. However the voice is limited IMO due to the shape of the resonance boost. It doesn't quack enough for lack of a better description and this is what is holding it back from becoming a great filter (again IMO). Overall, with the exception of the exp pedal controlled sounds the effect is middle of the road and well within the capabilities of the popular envelope filters out there FOR BASSES.

I'm talking about the Moogerfooger LPF of course

[​IMG]

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    got filters?

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Clips! We demand clips! :D

4. My favorite filter is my big box doctor Q, which i modified with a couple components and added a 'attack' and 'decay' knob.

it sounds better than my vintage AF-9

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Ok, you totaly need to post which mods and what exactly you did to it. I've got a bigger Dr. Q that is just sitting around not getting much use right now. :D

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, i don't like moogs anymore. I loved the phaser on my guitar but it didn't impress me on bass :/

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If they were smaller and about the price of a mid level filter like say an Emma they will be worth it as a stand alone bass effect. Of course, that means that all the expression pedal inputs will go away (and with them, the target market). I think other builders should take a cue from Moog and include at least one exp input to control the filter frequency. Anyway, I got mine for $170ish and I have 45 days to decide if it is for me. Tomorrow I will crank the SVT+810. Mebbe things will sound better at a higher volume :smug:

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Yeah, it took me a few weeks to really get the hang of finding good tones and when I neglected it for awhile, I would have to fork around with it a bit to get back right where I was before.

Sometimes I miss it, but most of the time I do not. If there was a way to adjust the sensitivity of the filter separate from the volume control, I would have kept it. The bypass was annoying, but not impossible to work around.

Making crazy noise with the resonance knob cranked was pretty wicked though:

http://www.boogeresque.com/mp3samples/moogRESHIGH.mp3

9. i suppose i will take some pictures and post it in a new thread here so people can see. I LOVE the way it sounds. I got my mods from muzique.coms scheme for the Quack, and the .pdf 'Technology of Auto-Wahs'. I also found a mod to add a blend pot, but i didn't feel i needed it.