1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WOW Thunderfunk and 2 Aguilar DB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassist30, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Great combination. Have a modified TF 550B and 2 Aguilar DB112 and very impressed. I know there are some on TB who feel the GS112 may have more bottom but the DB with a Thunderfunk has some serious bottom end yet very focused.
    I had one cabinet and played it through the TF but when you have 2 they become a different animal. Has a nice top end, not a flashy sizzle but good and pronounced all the same. The mids really kick in. When eq'd right the high and low mids are nice and smooth. A stand alone sounded a little barky in the mids. Not bad but I can see why some on TB had commented on that. The low end was very versatile. A real focused bottom end to 'hey your too loud" type of bottom. Worth cheaking out.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have a tfb550 and one gs112 and I was recently reminded of how nice it sounds...growly and deep, but I still wonder what a DB112 would sound like. I was fiddling and fiddling with the 'funk to get some more articulartion out of the gs112...:rolleyes:

as far as the "you're too loud" comment I was playing at church today with Bergantino ht112+ex112 and realized that my aggie gs112NT was not hooked up, so I hooked it up to my eden wt550 and the bergs and kept having to TURN DOWN my volume several times until it sounded right hahahaha

3. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Yea its amazing, sometimes when people hear a deeper low end they go you are too loud.
    As far as the difference of the gs and db Im not sure as I never put them side by side. But I really like what
    I hear. Bergs always sound good but I don't have 12's like you do. I have the ae410 and love it. But the TF and the db12's are a better match. Real buttery, like it were a tube amp.

4. +1:bassist: The driver and tweeter is identical to the GS model. According to Aguilar, the heavier stiffer box, and slightly different tuning (different porting) results in pretty much the same low end as the GS112, but with a more present mid-mid voicing. I dig these cabs a lot, although they are relatively large and heavy for single 112's. They are a VERY good match with the TF IMO (I call it 'modern meets old school'... warm, punchy, articulate, but with a nice warm, natural top end extension with both tweeters around 9 o'clock).

db112.

5. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    @Bassist30, what are the mods on your TF 550B? The LM4562 and TLE2072 with local supply bypass and larger preamp supply caps really lowered the noise floor and fixed the NE5532 oscillation on mine and made it sweet like it's supposed to be.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    did they change the specs on the gs112 from a couple of years ago??? seems to me the sensitivity was like 101 or 102db before?? they maybe same now, but was the gs112 different??

DAVE B.???:p

got an email from dave B. he says the old and newer gs112 have the same sensitivity rating, but, of course, differtent tone... and the old number was a guestimate...

7. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have one of the very few test models of the 550B with the 750A pre amp section. He tried a few before he started the 750A. He isn't making them anymore because again he was testing the 750A pre first.

8. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    The green is so cool. Yea I like the match alot. It has a great low end. Are a little heavier than most 12's except for my old EA CXL12E model, its 50 pounds. But I am really loving the tone alot.
    You described it well, "modern meets old school'... warm, punchy, articulate, but with a nice warm, natural top end extension with both tweeters around 9 o'clock". Thats how I hear it.

9. I have one DB112, and it is plenty for rehearsal, but I will eventually add a second, to pull 4 ohms from my LMII, and because two just looks cooler than 1.

10. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I started with one. Recently had a bicep injury and can only carry with one hand, so I bought a second. What a difference. The added cabinet opens up everything.

11. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Anybody using a DB112 and a DB112NT?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    honestly,

i'm not a fan of the DB series, but i cant imagine any cab sounding bad w/ the TFB. the timbre and enhance knobs do a wonder of a job in taming whatever cab to your needs. still trying to pick one up as my "rentals" head.

13. KJ and Bassist30 - is there a story behind the matching avatars?

14. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I saw his and like it. But I have a different color bass. They are both Alleva Coppolo's. His is gold mine is teal. I tried so hard to get the picture to bring out the color of my bass. but they were all dull. That picture of mine really shows how bright it is.
    I have had the pickguard (mint Green) put on before i got it home. Here are the 2 pictures. So I saw his and said to myself the best picture of it was from the shop.

Attached Files:

15. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    using the aguilars with the TF compared to the Bergs...I prefer the aggies with the TF and using the bergs with my eden. not the other way around, I'm not sure why, it just sounds right that way.

16. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    :)interesting info--thanks for the head's up