Wow Wal basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trenken, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    So Ive always been interested in getting one, I love their tone, but never looked into actually getting one until recently. I contacted them directly, and turns out to get one built it's $9000 and a 2 year wait. That's insane!!!!!

I mean what are these basses made out of? They are thousands more expensive than MTD basses, and there is NO WAY Wal's are better than those. MTDs are of the highest quality instruments you can get. Anyone have any clue as to why these Wal's are so outrageously expensive?

BrentSimons and Ductapeman like this.
  2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    You pay for uniqueness. ACG, also in the UK, has an uber spec that uses multicoil pickups like Wal. You might check them out.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Because they charge what they want, and seem to still have customers.

Tbone76, Reedt2000, Amano and 14 others like this.
  4. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    I'm guessing you find Foderas overpriced as well?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    blindrabbit, RickyT, bskts247 and 4 others like this.
  5. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I think the answer is that they CAN sell them for 9k ea. And that there are plenty of people willing to get in line for 2 years and pay it proves their point.

djaxup, eigentone, ajkula66 and 8 others like this.
  6. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have looked into ACG before. It is pretty difficult to find those for sale in the style that I like. I pretty much only like their recurve design and to find one in a 4 string that looks good to me was basically impossible so I gave up on them.

Anyone have any suggestions for good multicoil basses that don't cost as much as a car?

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    A Stingray HH?
    A Fender Dimension HH?
    Several Sandberg models....
    All kinds of Kiesel models
    Fender Roscoe Beck Signature
    Several L and M series G&L basses

I got a double coil installed on my Hammersmith 5 in the bridge position. Shouldn't be too hard to get it the neck position as well. @MarkoYYZ Could tell you more.

There are TONS of them out there for a fraction of Wal prices.

pjbassist and superheavyfunk like this.
  8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Supply and demand.

There is always the “previously owned” market.

9. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Not that I can think of. I've investigated Wal-style multicoil pickups and every pickup manufacturer that I've spoken with has indicated they can make them, but don't because the cost would be prohibitive. They are very labor-intensive to make.

blindrabbit and Sartori like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

A Wal is a Wal. If you get the chance to play one you'll get a better appreciation of why they command the prices they do - assuming that's your thing. If it is, it's worth it. If it isn't, then they're overpriced.

With a two year order backlog there's apparently enough players in the first category that the price tag isn't going to change.

I've had the opportunity to play a few Wals over the years, and I'd be more than happy to own one. They have a unique feel and brilliant tone that's easy to like. One of the most responsive basses I've ever played. If you can hear it in your head, you can get it out of a Wal without having to think about it based on my admittedly limited experiences. And I've played a lot of basses over the last 40 years.

If you're serious about getting one, you'll occasionally see them going in the high $3K range used - so they're not totally out of reach. That's about what you'd pay for three upper tier Fenders, or a couple of really good Rics.

If the price is too high for what you feel you'd be getting, there's a few hundred other excellent basses out there to consider that might better match your price/value criteria.

Is a Wal worth $9K and a two year wait? That's something only you can answer. If the answer is "yes," you'll get one. If the answer is "no," then you (like me) will get something else. And fortunately for us, it's a good time to be a bass player. Because there's a lot of other really fine basses to choose from.

11. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    To a lot of people $9k is pocket money.

Herrick and 40Hz like this.
  12. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    When I go to the Alembic website and spec out my dream bass it typically ends up being in the 13 to $15,000 range.

13. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Not trying to derail this thread... So, with that said...

Do any of you Wal players/ owners have a take on this? It has been many years since I played one and it was in a store where hearing the sound that comes out is largely hit or miss.. And I have had a BN6 for several years and am continually blown away every time I pick it up.. And here is the question.

To MY ears, the F bass nails 'That Wal sound". Anybody confirm, dispute or think I am way off here?

Loring, hisdudeness and TJH3113 like this.
  14. songwriter21

songwriter21 Involved with two girls. Cirrus and Milly. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot

Try Enfield. They even offer a carbon-wrapped neck as an option.
    Enfield Guitars

Mark_70 and bholder like this.
  15. As others have noted, it is because there are plenty of people who will pay that price. Enough to stock a 2-year waiting list.

Maybe you should get an MTD since you think so highly of them? (And they are great basses, no doubt.)

16. Joe Ty

Joe Ty Supporting Member

If you're a violinist, that's still cheaper than what you pay for your practice instrument. Most can't afford their own concert instrument. They usually have one on loan from a multi-millionaire benefactor.

17. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    I've yet to hear an F Bass that sounds like a Wal. This is a new one to me.

blindrabbit, Marihino, djaxup and 4 others like this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Got that right. My GF's mother was an orchestra violinist. The prices for those are up there high enough to induce nosebleed just looking at the price tag. Back in the '80s a professional level violin was starting in the $30K+ range. A master concert level instrument ran for six digits and up. And most of the really good ones were privately or (in Europe) government owned, and loaned out to the top players for concerts and recording use.

You can be sure they haven't gotten any less expensive since then.

19. Lava

Lava

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    If you have to ask...

20. nbsipics

nbsipics Used to be a Dead Guy Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    The pup's, the pre's, the woods, the build, the feel, all excellent and worth the money.

The mojo? Priceless...

superdick2112, djaxup, bebi and 2 others like this.