Wow......What do you guys think about this one??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, May 19, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm actually at a loss of words on this one, but here goes....

I was complaining a while back i was forced into a lease, even in the summer when i could not afford to pay rent. Well that got solved, i let my friend move in for me during the summer so he's paying the rent for the summer months, that problem is solved.

New problem........aparently the landlord showed up the other day, and according to my friend he was being a total A-hole. My friend was at class, but one of my other friends was up there spending the night because he was moving out of his old apartment and needed a place to crash, and i guess when the landlord showed up he was harassing him and accusing him of staying there for free as a sort of "free lease". Keep in mind i'm home for the summer, so i have no part of this.

The worst part.....

When the landlord showed up, he saw my permament roomates drum set in the living room and simply said "no drums allowed, it will bug the person downstairs", or something along these lines. So my roomate gave in and took down his drums.

I just heard about all this happening tonight and i can't even begin to say how Bull**** this whole thing is. I took it upon myself to read over the lease agreement, and nowhere did it say "drums are not allowed", as a matter of fact it didn't say anything about disturbing noises.

I also must add how bad i feel for my roomate. He loves drumming, it's his hobby. This is the first year he's moving away from home, he was very much looking foward to finally moving out, and being able to play more often without getting yelled at my his parents. Try to imagin you people move into an apartment, and the landlord shows up one day and says "no bass playing allowed".

The thing is, when i move up there this fall, i will not give in so easily as my roomate did. Playing bass is very important to me, as it is to you guys as well. If this guy trys telling me i cannot play my bass then there is going to be trouble. I also feel kind of bummed because i was very much looking foward to living with someone i can jam with and have some fun, and now aparently we can't do that. But like i said, nowhere in the lease it says he can't have drums, so this is what i'm going to try and explain to my roomate.

Sorry for the rambling. What do you people think about this?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You just got me worried about the guy that is subletting my place for the summer :oops:
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's horse****. Have your roommate go ask the neighbors if they mind him playing during acceptable hours, and I guarantee they'll not care one iota. Also try to have them sign something to that effect, so he can show it to the landlort and say "Look, man, everybody said they didn't mind as long as we played only within these hours, and that's what we're doing. So piss off."
  4. If it doesn't explicitly say "no drums allowed" in the lease then your friend should be allowed to play his drums within the time limit set out by your local bylaws. Of course, he should also try and be considerate towards the neighbors. It may technically be legal for him to play his drums at 10:00pm but that could really irritate the people in the apartment below him (or if he plays drums like my drummer, then everyone within a 10 mile radius :p ).

Landlords can be pretty irrational sometimes.
  5. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    If he's like my old drummer, you didn't have to worry about the noise so much as the stench.
  6. :D
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You laugh, but you never shared a car with him after a gig. Sweet Jesus.

We all called him "stinky", and we meant it.
  8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    This is what i'm kind or worried about, what if the person below totally despises them.

I must also add i do have respect with people who i am living near and next too. If the person below dosn't like them, then i think he's the one out of luck. This is a college town, the area we live in is 98% college students, it's pretty much total freedom. No rational person could expect him to quit totally because someone else might not like it, the world dosn't work this way.

I think the noise violation for these drums would come into effect at 10:00 in this town in the guy downstairs really hates it, but i will have to double check. At that time we would stop playing (loud).

But until then i don't think him or the landlord has any say in this matter. We are paying rent too. The landlord can't say "you can't have drums, because he won't like them". what makes him so special?? Mabey i don't like the fact that he dosn't like the fact that we play drums and bass....What makes this persons wants superior to ours?

Once again sorry for the rambling, you have no idea how annoyed i am about this. I'm usually the most easy going person, i believe in just leaving people alone and letting them do what makes them happy. I don't like having to complain out this. This is a serious blow because i i had a lot of personal problems last year, and i also had a lot of problems with the old roomate and landlord, and i was much looking foward to moving into this place and getting some things straight. Now i'm going to have to deal with this. No, not going to happen. Jam we will!

Like i said, this isn't in the lease, if he wants to fight me on this when i move up this fall then i am perpared, and i have a legit arguement, to say the least.
  9. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm totally with you, man; but I really think you should just ask your neighbor if he minds as long as you play at a decent hour like you're talking about. Catching more flies with honey and all that.

Can't hurt to ask, anyway; and I bet your neighbor would appreciate it. I know I would.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    What your land lord is doing is illegal. Move the drums back in.
  11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan

I don't think it's necessary illegal...yet. If he threatens to terminate out lease and evict us because we refuse to oblidge by rules he has set that were not in the lease agreement.....then i think we got problems. Otherwise i'm not too worried. Although it would be a pain in the arse, i could easly find a place cheaper, in which case would actually help me out more then hurt.

Now if noise ordinancces prevent us from playing after a certain time, then we woulld have to stop to aviod problems. Which wouldn't be a problem for me.

I will definitly ask the person below if he would mind us playing at reasonable times out of respect. I highly doubt he or she would say no, but with the ways things have been ging latly, i wouldn't be surprised. Yes or no, we will still play....or at least i will.

The landlord can't come in and simply say no drums allowed, that's just wrong.
  12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Anyone here with any legal knowledge??? Much appreciate it!

My bosses are laywers, i would ask them, but one's out of town, and the other i'm nervious to talk to.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA is his property, so yes he can.

Is it "wrong"? From your viewpoint it is.

Not saying I agree, but you are getting awfully worked up about your friends drums. As much as it sucks, I wouldn't tell the landlord to piss off and move the drums back in. Maybe you should ask him why he does not allow drums, and why you were not informed of this at the time you signed the lease. Ask him for an exception, or accomodation. If he says no, well there ain't a dang thing you can do.

14. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    What the landlord is doing is not illegal. He has to make sure that one tenant doesnt disturb his other tenants. It is not hard to get evicted my friends. So choose your battles wisely.
  15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well the reason i am getting worked up is because he is my drummer, i have been looking foward to getting some good jams going, where are we suppose to practice?? The front lawn?

And as for disturbing other tenants, i think it's a double standard. We can't play music because it disturbs the neighbors, but they are allowed to disturb us by saying we can't play music. That isn't right.

I'm not saying i'm going to tell the landlord to piss off. But if he trys telling me i can't play my bass.......then i'm definitly going to argue, and i'm definitly not going to stop playing because he should of told us this and put it on his lease.
  16. Look, this has nothing to do with him having a problem with musicians living there - it has to do with the noise level a drum kit produces and the complaints. You should check the bylaws where you live, but I'm guessing you're gonna be out of luck in the making noise department. Whether or not it's in the lease, if you're breaking bylaws on a semi-regular basis and people complain, you could get evicted pretty easily.

If it was me, I'd just play until I got a complaint - probably with brushes and a soft beater.
  17. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    As for where you are supposed to play. That is why most cities have old warehouses that have been renovated for band practice rooms that you rent. It sucks, but its the way it is.

As for your second paragraph. Well, you are coming off as ignorant, your neighbors are doing nothing to disturb you. They are not doing anything that wakes you up when you are trying to sleep. They are not pounding on your ceiling while you try to watch a movie. The key to getting along in this world is being able to empathize with others.

If you guys really want to practice in the apartment, then your drummer should buy a practice pad, and you should buy 10 to 25 watt amp. Problem solved, you and he get to practice, and you are not disturbing the neighbors.

18. Dude, put me on the list next year....i am seriously serious about living in boston next summer if i'm not already in Houston Texas :ninja:
  19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

You can think it's a double standard all you want--but that's not how the world works. My girlfriend is currently in law school. If I had a neighbor in my apartment building playing drums, I'd call the office in about 3 seconds to tell them to knock it off. You don't own the property--the landlord does. You can't inconvenience your neighbors with your actions. Period. If you ask your neighbors if they mind, and they say, "no," then you can tell the landlord that you worked it out with them. But, if they say, "no, we'd rather not listen to drums at any point during the day," you're pretty much screwed.

IMHO, you're being pretty naive to think that you are going to be able to have band practice, or even jams, IN AN APARTMENT. You're landlord can't tell you to dismantle drums, but he can tell you not to play them when they are loud enough to be heard outside of the apartment. It's no different than having a stereo blasting all day--I've had noisy neighbors, and it sucks.

You're not going to win this battle.