WOW - whatta Pre!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, Dec 14, 2003.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    couple of months ? weeks ? ago there was a posting by someone who picked up an ART mic-pre to use as his preamp. So ... Iv'e been fussing about with a Music Man 2x12 trying to get a consistently good sound out of it for a bit. Last week I picked up an ART Tube Channel for $220 off the 'Bay.

This thing rocks. I can't get a bad sound out of it unless I have the input gain too high. So this rig now looks like ART Tube Channel driving Crown CE-1000. 900 watts into the MM cab. Just for laughs, I plugged it into a couple of JBL 1x15 bins from yesteryear. Sounds sweet there to!

The ART has a 1 meg ohm input which is perfect for guitar or bass as well as XLR and phantom power of course. It is a combined mic-pre, 4 band parametric EQ. Hi and lo are fixed freq shelving controls, switch selectable for 40,120, 6K or 18K. The 2 mid bands are fully parametric with overlapping freq ranges. There is also an optical compressor which seems very nice although it lacks side chain which is something I actually use.

I'm really pleased with the way this has worked out. I had spotty results with the MM cab. Got a few sounds that were brilliant, got more than a few that sounded like dropping a box of wrenches on the garage floor (very loud wrenches though!)

Now I really have to try to get this thing to sound bad. Damned strange! Thanks to whoever it was that decided to try the mic-pre! Anyone doing the preamp dance - check one of these out. For low dough this thing is just killer!
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got one too, and I like it. I haven't had it long, but I'll be keeping it in my rig. The only thing that throws me about it is the output meter -- it never moves much, even when I turn up the master. My input gain is set just below clip, and the tone itself sounds good, but the meter acts like I'm not sending much juice to my power amp. Any ideas?
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm not sure where the meter is in the signal chain but I'm running my gain pretty around 2:00, the pre around +2 and the master ... well depending on how many of the family are home LOL. My VU moves quite a bit with those settings. All the basses I've run through this so far are J's with Duncan SJB1's which are passive and more or less vintage sounding. Not high output in other words.