1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wow, who is this guy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Nov 12, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i stumbled upon this band called vilhelm(drum and bass duo) and they hav this amazing bassist(and drummer)

here's a clip of him playin on a six string

anyways can the numa numa tappin part be done on a 4string?

2. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    I dunno. When Stanley Jordan first hit the scene, I thought "wow...how neat is that?" but the more I listened, the more I realized: that while it's technically amazing and all; it sounds like ass.

Yep, tapping still sounds like ass to me. I'd put it in the same category as excessive slap wankery. Neat, for about one minute...then the fact that it just sounds like ass just catches up with you, and suddenly, you wanna just hear real music, with proper tone; not clickety, clackety, poppity.

3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    im never a fan of excessive tapping and slapping man, i never liked the old rhcp songs and i cant really stand primus. but i think what this guy did was awesome man and definitely doesnt 'sound like ass' to me

4. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    < not impressed..... :ninja:

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    Behind you!
    Enough taking a piss. http://www.vilhelmband.com/band.php

This is the band's website. It'll tell you the name of the bassist, who I believe is using a Warr guitar or Chapman stick type instrument that is designed to be played by tapping.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I dunno...it's technically hard to do, but as you can tell by the crowds reaction (or lack thereof) It's boring as heck!

7. It is boring. This is self-indulgant 'hot-dogging'. This guy needs a crash-course in Motown Groove. :meh:

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, very boring... and it's a Disco medly, it would be much more impressive if they were originals I suppose. Also, without a bassist just focusing on groove, disco is pointless.

Not saying Disco is pointless in the first place. :D But you gotta listen to something while on coke... in the 70s...

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The guy is a very technical player but I agree, the whole video (and the others I watched of theirs) was boring. And the crowd shared in that sentiment as well...:(

10. Drum and Bass duo? Reminds me of Death from Above.

11. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Sounding like ass or not, the dude tapped ABBA!?!?

For the love of God...........ABBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah... I just can't get into tapping stuff. :meh:

There are a few who can pull it off with a good tone and good feel, but everything else sounds like ham-fisted mashing the strings into the frets with none of the sense of dynamics and feel that a pianist would have.

I think I read years ago where one of the staff of Bass Player deemed it "sounding like a toy piano being played really badly."

I tried to get into tapping years ago, but I kinda gave up on it because I wasn't feeling it... and I sounded like I was playing a toy piano really badly. ;)

13. I like tapping for the most part, but usually not the kind where there is a completely separate bassline and then a melody with the right hand. I feel that most of the time when people do this, both parts(bass line and melody) suffer.

:cough:peanut's Theme:cough:

14. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Boring? You're entitled I guess. I just think it's a bit of harmless fun.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Something tells me you didn't listen to the clip... ;)

Yes it's drum and bass... but drum and bass can sound very different from DFA1979

16. I think that tapping, like other technique, is good when used in moderation.

When I do tapping stuff, it's never fast or meant to be flashy- I try to take a more...I dunno, compositional approach? Like, the technique serves a purpose. Like how Manring uses it...not that I'm 1/100000000000000000th of what he's cabable of, but the idea behind the usage is similiar in my mind.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Huh? Oh sorry, I fell asleep! What did I miss??

Seriously...........no wonder Funk music is dying a slow death! Cats spend so much time on being a soloist/one man band! He's got skills but the act is boring! Time to move on!

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It's not bad but yeah, disco stuff, the crowd should be crazy dancing with bras flying in the air.
    Since it's not the case, I'm affraid their gimmick doesn't work.

19. VilleS

VilleS

Nov 14, 2006
    Yep, it´s me to be "blaimed" :p

I wouldn´t start judging based on sober crowds (teenagers like 80-90%) reaction during songplaying at clock time 21.00 PM.

I was there and based on what I saw and heard, many people were´nt moving because they were o_O

Some guy here put it well: I just think it's a bit of harmless fun.
    That´s means we´re just having fun and making some money during the process.

Our job isn´t anyway trying to impress Jazz-police officers.

Every one has right for their opinion tho so I´ll stop posting too much and let people anal-yse if they want :p

Ok, im out. :bag: ;)

20. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    i find some comments way more boring than the video. but that's because i liked the video.

and i liked this even more: