Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WOW! worst time that equipments fails...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Ok, so I had a gig yesturday, luckly it was only a small one, probably 100 people, maybe 150... anyway, i get there, and i plug in, we're about ready, and then, MY INSTRUMENT CABLE FAILS! i noticed someone must have stepped ont head of it, cuz it was bent out of wack, and it kept falling about of the bass and would pick up any sounds.... i had to run around to see if there was a spare something around i could use, i got one, with 5 minutes before i was on :S

not only that, it was a Live Wire cable, so it was fairly spendy, $40, lucky it has a life time warrenty, hopefully i could get a new one...

any of you have had some sort of equipment failures right before your about to go on?

2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Always bring a backup everything.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Good advice. I bring spare cables, straps, strings, batteries, set lists, bass, power cords, patch cables, plus a bunch of other stuff like tools, sweat towels, etc.

I wasn't in Scouts, but I believe in their motto.

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Next time either switch sides of the chord, meaning put the end that you were putting in your bass into the amp. Should work because the amp isn't moving. Or wind the chord around your strap, then plug it in. It shouldn't fall out.

5. From the title of the thread, I didn't think you were talking about bass gear... ;)

6. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    lol one little cable going is getting off easy. I bring two cables to jamming just in case. I think a big deal would be the pickups on your base short out or something and u have to find a replacement and it happens on stage now thats bad.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Backups for your backups...on a gig, if it can go wrong...it absolutely will!
    You talking about the LiveWires brand of cables that Guitar Center/Musicians Friend sells? The LW brand I used to buy from both of those two retailers just plain sucked. George L's and Monster are far better cables IMHO. :bassist:

8. Last year in Nov we were playing in a small club, I have a faulty wire, which made a HORRIBLE LOUD SOUND if it just slightly twisted. And we didn't have any spares, which ment I had to stand compl. still the whole gig.
    Since then I've allways had spares... :smug:

9. Well this isn't about bass or gigs, but once I was the photographer in a friend's wedding, and right when they were exchanging rings I ran out of film!!

-Lucky they have another photographer to cover.