Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wow.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by f_london, Feb 10, 2006.

1. f_london

f_london

Aug 17, 2004
    Two things to accomplish from this thread:
    1.) Rant a little bit
    2.) Ask for a public opinion

Rant:
    Ok, so I went to the local music store yeserday(mistake) to try and sell my Crybaby (perfect condition, never been used). When I asked them about it they offered me $10. ***!?!? I told them that it's a $140 pedal in perfect condition and they told me that a pawn shop would give me $5. They then proceeded to laugh at me as I walked out the door.

Every time I go into that place, they're either jerks, or try to rip me off. Their customer service sucks. The only reason for them to still be in buisness is the fact that they're the only shop in town, and our school is VERY into the band program.

Question:
    How much should I expect to get for my crybaby? I originally bought it at full price for $140, and it's in perfect condition.

COMMENTS WELCOME

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm not sure, but if it was 140 new, I'd sure ask 100 dollar at least, maybe 110.

3. f_london

f_london

Aug 17, 2004
    Thanks, I was expecting around $60 for it, but the people at the store really discouraged me on that one.

4. IMO:

The problem is, they have to sell it as used. If it's 140 new, they can't ask for 140 for used, so they need to sell it for less, like 100 or so, depending on condition. They have to make some money off of it too. I used to work in a small music shop and I would have probably offered you 50-75 for it, knowing that I would sell it for <100. If you want to use it as part of a "trade-in" you may get more for it. 10 bucks is WAY TOO low, unless they really don't want it, thinking that they wouldn't be able to sell it no matter what they charged. But, they should've been up front with you and said they don't want it, not just offer you a 10 spot then laugh. I would've never laughed at my customers, no matter what they did...unless it was meant to be funny.

My ¥2.37

5. f_london

f_london

Aug 17, 2004
    Yeah, I didn't really expect to get any more than around $70 for it because they have to sell it used. Their reaction just really bothered me.

6. As well it should have. i think customer service is a lost art.

7. Oh, and I think there's a lot of jerks out there.

8. f_london

f_london

Aug 17, 2004
    Heh. Well I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Just kinda curious on how to sell this thing and for how much.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    why not sell it yourself?

10. Yep, put it on ebay or somethin'

View attachment 29487

11. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Used Register

Feb 3, 2006
    Longview, TX
    Put it up on eBay with a $60-$70 reserve and see if it sells. If not, then whatever high bid comes up will tell you what the buyers are willing to pay.

12. f_london

f_london

Aug 17, 2004
    :) Yeah, I'm thinking ebay is the way to go. Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice/comments.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I work in a music store once in a while. I looked up your crybaby in the blue book. Let's assume it is the Crybaby wah with the volume boost. If it isn't no big deal...all the numbers are similar.

The new list price of your pedal was $148. The Retail used price
    (that is, the price most stores would be able to get out of selling a used one), is $58. Wholesale price $31 in mint condition, $23 in average condition. I would have offered you $25 for it. Don't like it, that's fine. Sell it somewhere else. Stores have expenses other than the actual price they pay out for goods. Why would a store give you $100 for a pedal they can buy NEW WHOLESALE for
    $60 or so?

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    What other wholesale prices do you have, Cheeze????

:D ;)

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    NJL..Im at the store today, so PM me whatever you'd like me to look up, and I'll take care of it for you.

16. The problem is that pedals have a very low resale value, no matter what they are. Then can look great on the outside, but the circutry may be near-death inside. And that's not something you can look for. $10 was still a bit of a low ball, but I think cheezewiz was about right with the $25 quote. I would guess they might go a little higher if it was a trade, say $30-$35.

I routinely told people $10 for any Boss pedal they brought in. And if we sold it for less than $70, I wouldn't accept it at all.

Rock on
    Eric

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GC will typically give you half of what they sell the item for. So if it lists at, say, $200, they would sell a new on at about $140, so look for about $70 from them. They'll put it out at about $120 and take an offer of $90 or so.