1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WOW!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman2011, Mar 5, 2013.

1. bassman2011

bassman2011

Aug 25, 2011
    Just received and stacked my second PF-115HE to my PF500, and all I can say is WOW! What a difference from using the one cab and then adding the second. Ampeg you rock!:hyper:

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    pics or it didnt happen

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't have a PF500 but I have a PF350 and two of those cabs. They do sound great. Unfortunately, I have to sell a couple things to finance my Heritage SVT/09 Precision purchases, and I just don't use them as much as my other cabs. But they do sound great and the price is very right.

4. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    I've decided I'm going to be pulling trigger on two PF115's in the very near future after being on the fence between those and a fEARful. I'm glad to hear you're happy with them!

5. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I like this reply!!! Buzzinga!

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I had the same reaction to two 410's. But I'm not a liar. Only joking.
    8262640072_b00db2b0d1.

7. Shatmusket

Shatmusket

Aug 24, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I added a PF115LF to my PF500/PF115HE and I got the same result! WOW!

Pic for truth....

Attached Files:

8. bassman2011

bassman2011

Aug 25, 2011
    The only thing I am concerned with, is that I have heard some horror stories about the PF500 crapping out on a gig. Just to be safe, I want to buy a small portable backup amp and I have been thinking about buying a GK MB200 just in case. I know it wont power my both 115he's but I am sure it will do one cab. Hoping this will never happen, but just playing safe. Any suggestions on any other affordable micro amps easy to store and carry?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Actually it will power them just fine, although I like the Ampeg heads much more (I would say that, wouldn't I? ;) ) It just won't get as loud. And if it makes you feel better, I know plenty of folks who haven't had a day's worth of trouble out of the PF500.

10. bassman2011

bassman2011

Aug 25, 2011
    Glad to hear that about the PF500, but just covering my bases. (no pun intended) Never did or want to be in that situation when your head craps out during a gig. Thanks for the info! Well appreciated everyone:D!

11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    you're smart to have a backup plan. It only takes one crap out on a gig to make you a believer in backups.

I am one who had a PF500 go dead, very awkwardly, on a gig. S**t happens. I still use it, and like the sound very much, but I always have my TC RH450 set to go when I use the PF500 live. As JimmyM said, the MB200 will work just fine in a back-up role, just don't expect it to be as loud or sound quite the same. Kinda like using one of those dinky spare tires when you get a flat on a sporty car with a wide, low profile tread. Just not going to handle the same, but it'll get you home ok.

Enjoy the 2 115HE rig, I bet it sounds great. I am planning to do the same myself, so you can tell I am not trying to pointlessly dump on Ampeg and the PF500. :cool:

12. bassman2011

bassman2011

Aug 25, 2011
    What happened with the PF500? Was it a common problem? Thanks!

13. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Catonsville, MD
    If you ever want to let go of that PF350...

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    PF350 is staying, bro!

Bassman, most of the PF500 problems I've seen have been from either manufacturing defects or from cranking insano. Also seen plenty of folks, as I said earlier, who haven't had a moment's trouble with them, too. In any case, Ampeg has been very quick to hop on warranty issues with the PF500, and while it sucks if it happens to you on a gig, at least they have been quick to offer solutions, and I've also seen a lot less incidents being reported on here lately. Don't have a PF500 myself but the PF350's been quite the little tank for me with nary a problem in a year and a half.