1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wowww....#0052 on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Mar 6, 2008.

1. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Nice! You even get the musty bag!

2. Nice wee bit of history there.

3. woww:)

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Pretty cool though I would like to see that bass taken apart and see close up photos of the neck heel, neck pocket, pots, etc... That's a lot of cash and I would need to be certain that it is what they say it is.

5. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Never!!!
    Look at the A string on the pic of the bridge. It is unwinding itself!
    I would have to buy a set of strings too and you know how expensive those are...
    he he!!!

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I wonder why one would....not that I condemn it, if one has the "scratch."

Still, the collector thang is beyond me, 'cause there are MUCH better investments (IMHO).

"For my money," get a player.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Vintage baby yeah !!!!! :bassist:

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Man, I was lucky I had that 16 grand handy.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If I had the money for such a thing, I would play it every day. I want to enjoy the bass, not just say that I could if I so chose.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1. If it was one of the first Les Paul guitars and had a good figured maple top, it would sell for over $500k. $16k is a steal for what it is historically (and if it is all original).

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ...#51? So...this thread just made me wonder where the FIRST fender is.

12. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Fender didnt use chronological order back then.. So #0052 could of actually been the 300th built.

13. Huh? 'splain.

14. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    say there were 100 serial numbers on the backplates of said basses.

#52 doesnt mean it was the 52nd made it could of been the 95th made. They didnt have chronological order like 1, 2, 3, 4, it could of went 42, 2, 94, 17, etc

I remember reading also somewhere that David Gilmore has the first strat made if you went by numerical order its #0001 but its not the first made and this is proven by Fender and other collectors. Forgot where I read that he played it at a Fender party and I also remember him saying its so hard to play its really whacked out..

Here is the video

From a collectors website

"Fender serial numbers were assigned like this: bin with serialized plates/bridges. Assembler reached in and grabbed one (or many). Put them on the instrument(s). As you can see from this over-simplified example, serial number assignment was fairly random. Just keep this in mind. The only truely definitive way to date a pre-CBS fender is to look at all the dates on the instrument (body date, neck date, pot dates). The serial number can only generalized the age of the instrument within a few years."

15. Dammit, I was out bid by a coulple hundred :mad:

16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Looks like Sting has a new backup.

17. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    +1 - if I had $16k to go shopping with, it wouldn't be on eBay!

18. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Your comment got me thinking. Was eBay the best way to get maximum value for that bass for the owner?

Implicit in my question is that the bass sure looked real to me and the answers to the questions were genuinely unsophisticated. If I was in a position to spend $16,000 on a toy, I would be playing that bass right now.

Lastly, I sincerely hope that bass was bought by someone who will play it often. Bonus if he or she can play it well. And jackpot if it was bought by a pro who will record with it.

19. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    this bass is only a few hours away from my house...

anybody know where i can buy a good ski mask at this time a day?