WQhat the frell is a 2x15? etc..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Feb 24, 2002.

1. I know it's a CAB :) But what does this mean?
    Is it the amount of speakers time the height of the cab in feet? Inches?

Someone please explain :)

2. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    It's the size and amount of the speakers.

A 2x15 cab is a cab which has two 15 inch speakers.
    A 4x10 cab contains four 10 inch speakers. etc etc

Hope that helps :)

3. Thank ooo! :D

Just one more thing.. IS a horn the the big ugly "thing" is like a slope coming from under the speaker?

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    frell?

farscape?

f

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    as sure as Rygel farts helium!

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Microb.. I believe the slope thing you are refering to would be a port for a vented speaker. Some ports are round holes with a tube going into the cabinet. Same function. It tunes the cabinet. The horn is the thing shaped like the bell of a trumpet if you looked directly at it from the front.... A trumpet is another musical instrument in the Brass Family.... Brass is a metal, but in this case refers to a type of musical instrument that gets it's sound by blowing in small oriface in one end . At the other end is a larger "bell shaped" opening where sound is emitted.......another noun for this type of instrument is "horn". The horn in a speaker cabinet got its name from this shape ...................................Shall I stop now;)

Then again the ugly sloped thing may be a horn. It depends on what you mean by slope. Horns can have corners. but the function of the shape is still the same and is bell like(from a smaller diameter, sloped out to a larger diameter). This type of horn is usually found in P A speakers.......................

7. Yes I belive that helped. I am purchasing two 1x15" Laney CABs, with horn's.. I wasn't sure if THAT THING on some cab's was a horn - a forgot. And I know what a trumpet is. Just 'cuz I'm a teenager doens't mean to say I'm musically retarded.:)

Thanks, doodley.

P.S., as much as I am musically retarded, I still knew what trumpet was! YEY FOR ME!

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    tY-NeEHiBaSs,

jUsT a liTtlE rAZz cUz U r a tEeN n iTs e Z 2 gIt u gOIn;) :rolleyes: