WQhat the frell is a 2x15? etc..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Feb 24, 2002.

1. I know it's a CAB :) But what does this mean?
    Is it the amount of speakers time the height of the cab in feet? Inches?

Someone please explain :)
  2. Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    It's the size and amount of the speakers.

A 2x15 cab is a cab which has two 15 inch speakers.
    A 4x10 cab contains four 10 inch speakers. etc etc

Hope that helps :)
  3. Thank ooo! :D

Just one more thing.. IS a horn the the big ugly "thing" is like a slope coming from under the speaker?
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    as sure as Rygel farts helium!
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Microb.. I believe the slope thing you are refering to would be a port for a vented speaker. Some ports are round holes with a tube going into the cabinet. Same function. It tunes the cabinet. The horn is the thing shaped like the bell of a trumpet if you looked directly at it from the front.... A trumpet is another musical instrument in the Brass Family.... Brass is a metal, but in this case refers to a type of musical instrument that gets it's sound by blowing in small oriface in one end . At the other end is a larger "bell shaped" opening where sound is emitted.......another noun for this type of instrument is "horn". The horn in a speaker cabinet got its name from this shape ...................................Shall I stop now;)

Then again the ugly sloped thing may be a horn. It depends on what you mean by slope. Horns can have corners. but the function of the shape is still the same and is bell like(from a smaller diameter, sloped out to a larger diameter). This type of horn is usually found in P A speakers.......................
  7. Yes I belive that helped. I am purchasing two 1x15" Laney CABs, with horn's.. I wasn't sure if THAT THING on some cab's was a horn - a forgot. And I know what a trumpet is. Just 'cuz I'm a teenager doens't mean to say I'm musically retarded.:)

Thanks, doodley.

P.S., as much as I am musically retarded, I still knew what trumpet was! YEY FOR ME!
  8. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000

jUsT a liTtlE rAZz cUz U r a tEeN n iTs e Z 2 gIt u gOIn;) :rolleyes: