Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wrangling the WT-300's compressor and gain settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 15, 2002.

1. My FBB 5 has an NTBT preamp with the gain trimpot set at 50%. Since the low B on this sucker has Big Booty, it tends to send my WT-300's internal compressor into serious pump-and-breathe territory unless I set the gain very low. If I do that, I have to turn up the master to compensate, which increases noise.

Any ideas? I'm getting frustrated enough that I might just send my WT-300 to Eden to get the WT-400 upgrade, with the compressor bypass switch and the extra 100 watts.

2. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    Besides getting the WT400 upgrade, the only other solutions I can think of is to either roll back on the master volume from your bass and rely on the gain control more from your WT300 preamp. This would cause less of your deep bass signal from entering your preamp so the compression would not engage as much. Or, you could cut the bass on your onboard preamp a bit. However, if you want to keep that powerful B-string sound, I think the upgrade is probably the best solution.

3. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    You definitely need to get the compressor bypass mod. I believe Eden can just do this one mod if you don't want to do all the changes to bring your amp up to current WT-400 specs. I always played my Eden head with the compressor bypassed; this allows you to really crank the preamp gain and get some nice volume and tone. The extra 100 watts won't really matter, but the bypass will do wonders!

4. Extreme: I seem to recall that the upgrade cost about $200 with shipping. How much does the compressor-bypass mod cost?