Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wrap Thingy, I can't remember

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by EFischer1, Mar 9, 2005.

1. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    The guy who does my bow rehairing will put on a piece of like rubber tubing stuff (sorry for the amazing description) that covers the portion of the bow where the frog meets the stick to cushion the thumb. Well, he recently retired and closed shop. Does anyone know where I can get one of these, because I seem to have gotten rid of all of them in one of my cleaning rampages. You would be an absolute life saver.

2. Abjimajik

Abjimajik

Sep 26, 2004
    Luton, England
    slava have them I think.
    How do they help?

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It's latex tubing, available in various sizes (diameter) in medical supply stores.

4. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Thats exactly it! Thanks so much for correcting my mind lapse.

5. Julie

Julie

Mar 6, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Those things can be hard to get on, a little talcum powder on the inside of the tubing will help. Roll it into a ball or shape of a doughnut once you've got it on (if that makes any sense), then push it further down the stick where you want it.

Julie

6. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Thanks. I've been using them for years so I definately understand what you're talking about. I recently took mine off as an experiment and lost it! Thanks though.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ok, I want some and a local Bow maker wants some for Bass Bows as well.. Where can I get this stuff??

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    When I was in Augusta, the legit cat I was studying with had something on his (French) bow that was like surgical tubing, but it had a little circular "dimple" where you're thumb would go. Anybody else seen anything like that?

10. A medical supply house. Gee, I thought by now you'd be on a first-name basis with those guys. :)

11. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    What makes you think I need Medical Supplies Don?.. I hardly ever need a Doctor?.. I'm the healthy type.. Most Visits were when I was doing Martial Arts... Bruised Ribs, Broken Toe, You know.. That 'macho' stuff guys do after work instead of watching 'Wheel of Fortune'.. Actually I did prefer watching Vanna White than getting kicked in the face by one of the instructors on Sparring Night...Lol.. Funny, but true.. or.. Sad, but true..

12. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
  13. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Lemurmusic has them although I feel the wall of the latex tubing are too thick. The hollow diamet is just right for most bows.
    I am trying to contact a medical supply house in germany. The have what I want , something called silk latex. A softer, kinder latex. Problem is they sell it in 15 meter spools. So who wants some???

14. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    What lemur has is just plain lengths of surgical tubing.
    One might also try an aquarium supply store. Or Dennis Roy of BSO used an airhose from a car. Go figure