1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wrapped gut

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by 61pollmann, Jun 29, 2005.

1. 61pollmann

61pollmann Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Does anyone know if Kaplan Golden Spirals are currently available? A couple of us here in Milwaukee used them in the 60's. Also, are Pirastro Pizzicatos similar to the GS's? I haven't heard much about them. I know they're expensive, so that eliminates a casual tryout. I'm also wondering if any of the Velvets would be comparable?

2. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    the last i heard they stopped making golden spirals (i think due to mad cow worries). but labella makes goldentone d and g strings-you can get them at lemur. i have played both and they are both great.

3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The Pirastro Pizzicato G and D are available both as silverwound or nylon wound gut. The nylon wound are similar to the old Golden Spirals, with a little more tension. It's a pretty thick D string, but the Spiral was , too. I think Kaplan was bought by D'Addario who continued making the Golden Spirals for a while, but they've discontinued them.

The Velvet Garbo set has an interesting G and D. The G is some sort of nylon wound, and the D is wound with sort of a nylon/metal substance. These are fairly different than the Golden Spiral but a nice string nevertheless. Velvet doesn't sell them separately, though. The Garbo E and A are similar to their Anima set with a metal flat winding (more or less, it's not really smooth like Eudoxa, etc.)

I've never tried Golden Tone.