Wrapping your fingers with plasters or bandages

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Do you guys do that to improve your playing?I had a small cut on the tip of my index finger and I plastered it. Played my bass and noticed its "slicker" and easy to play that way...does anyone do this for technique and such or is it a stupid thing to do...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Whatever floats your boat, but I never felt the need to do that (except in my "I wanna play like Mark King"-phase :oops: ).

I think you loose control and feel, plus the glue might get on the strings after a while.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW, I'm with JMX on this one. I like as much "feel", as much tactile sensation, as I can get.

Something you might try is putting super glue on your finger tips. I've done it when I've had a finger tip cut and I know upright/double bassists who use it when their callouses break open. After all, the stuff was originally invented to close surgical incisions, not to fix household items.

But plastering certainly isn't "stupid" at all if it helps you get what you're after with the bass. Hell, no one disses Tony Levin and his "Funk Fingers"

4. Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    ... things for tech. specifically... don't do anything...
    with anything involving my left hand i have to wrap my left ring because the joint was damaged and it's still messed up... but the finger tip is clear...
    For double bass... i prefer new skin over glue for broken blisters and cuts... glue seems to have a tendency to flake off more than new skin, atleast for me... anythings better than band-aids, i suppose...

enh- .02
  5. im glad somebody brought up funk fingers, ide like to try them but i wouldnt plaster my fingers