Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WRC Gibson customshop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lumptoner, Nov 3, 2003.

1. I have one of these, gibson tech. says there records are imcomplete for the gibson customshop bass's. proably mine is 71-73- have to email photo to them for imfo. anybody know the lowdown on these bass'?. when were they being made. gibson says, appx. 250 were made?incredible deep, full sounding with slim, fast neck. mine the paint has not lasted well, checking,etc.any one know there value as collectors?

2. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Gibson made a guitar called the WRC (designed by Wayne Charvel), if they made a bass version I've never heard of it. But the WRC was from the late 1980s, not 1971-73. There was no custom shop in the early 1970s anyway.

If you were told 250 WRCs, that would be referring to the guitars, it was a limited edition that was suddenly dropped supposedly after Jackson/Charvel objected to the design. I'm surprised anyone at Gibson admits the model ever existed.

Hard to say what the value might be, late 80s Gibsons aren't well regarded but you may have a rarity.

3. thanks, that's kind of what I though, I found a wrc guitar, white, kind of trashed, and a white bass, slightly dinked up at a thrift shop in santa cruz, necks buzzing, electronics intermitent. cleaned up, adjusted,new strings and they play amazing. I thought they must have been owned by one person, who had them made for them. they were very, very cheap-so I thought I'd use the pickups, hardware,etc. but they sound better than most new production instruments. will send photo's to gibson to verify age. will proably keep them, as I tend to do with all instruments.