1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie, AGRO, or Fulltone Bassdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapstick13, Nov 15, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I'm deciding between these 3 pedals for my distortion sound. I will only be using my tuner and one single dirt pedal for my needs. I have to get rid of my boss odb3 because I hate it and want it gone forever.

Im leaning heavily on the pickle pie because of the blend knob, Im just concerned that it may be TOO crazy in a band setting as I will be competing with some loud distorted guitars.

Agro seems like it will do the job well.

Bassdrive Im not sure on, but I love fulltone pedals for guitar an thats why Im showing interest in this, although I dont really NEED an overdrive + boost.

My setup is a pbass, svt 2 pro, 810e. Any advice? Keep in mind this will be my only 'effect' pedal. My band plays indie/punk/90s alternative type music, if that helps. A lot of dynamics in our songs also; slow quiet parts to loud fast parts so I think all 3 pedals are applicable here.

2. One thing, and it is a big one, is that the PPB is definitely a fuzz. I really like it on lower saturation settings, but it is still a fuzz anyway you slice it, so it may be too aggressive for what you are going for (distortion/overdrive). That being said, it is a RAD pedal and is definitely worth checking out.

I haven't tried the Agro or the Bassdrive, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Agro. I really want one....well, actually I just bought the Rackmount version, so we'll see how that works out :hyper:. I love Aguilar stuff and my tone hammer is a tank, so I can imagine that the Agro would likely be built with similar physical quality.

Scotch here on TB blends his Bassdrive with this clean signal and says it is his favorite.....dunno. I've never had the bass drive before.

All three would sound killer for what you are doing. I would also check out the Electronix GeminiDrive, my favorite distortion/OD. There is one in the classifieds right now....just saying.

P.S. Any clips of your band? Myspace?

3. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    No songs online for the band I was describing, but this is my other band that plays less often that I'll also be using the pedal with. myspace.com/fukresponsibility

Dirt would obviosuly be very appropriate with this band.

I checked that pedal in the classifieds, looks like it was traded/sold already!

4. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Do you find that gemini drive more usable than the pickle pie in a band setting??? Now you got me looking at the gemini drive!!!

5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I own both the Fulltone and the Pickle Pie B. The Fulltone is my "frequently on" pedal, while the Pickle Pie B gets left for situations where I need over the top levels of juice.

IME, it's easier for the Fulltone to cut through a mix than the PPB, despite the PPB having a blend knob, especially with a distorted guitar or two. It's kinda apples and oranges, considering the PPB is a fuzz with heavy coloration and lots of sustain, and the Fulltone can be dialed down to a fairly transparent overdrive that just adds a little hair.

6. I use both, actually. All the time. Currently, the GeminiDrive is on all the time and I use the Phat Phuk B from Wren & Cuff to make it drive harder, but I have an Aguilar Agro rackmount on the way that will be on all the time and then I will use the Gemini as more of an on/off dirt. The GeminiDrive (IMO) will get just about any type of dirt tone and it will do it very well. It will go from slightly distorted/overdriven sound with just a hair of "bite," to ronchy full out overdrive (boardering on fuzz territory). Super versatile.

I have the Pickle Pie B set for DOOM. Full, lush, colored, ballsy, bassy DOOM. It is definitely usable in a band, though some of the settings (being a Muff based pedal and all) don't cut through as well as others. It just depends on how and when you use the pedal. All of the tones sound great though.

Huge +1 to everything he said here.

Oh and just to feed the GAS, here is a little review I wrote up on the Pickle Pie B and Phat Phuk B: