1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wren and Cuff TFR Settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So I've been sneaking in my EHX BBM Deluxe a few times to practice with Michael Rowe, last time we practiced (I was packing light that day) he asked me if I could "use that distortion again", but I told him I actually left it at home thinking he didn't really like having it in the music. Well he likes it and here's why I have the TFR in my subject line...

The guitarist noticed this as well, but he said even when I use clean signal or blend, it just feels like the fuzz isn't there on the BBM deluxe. You can hear me, but you can't hear or feel the fuzz...just my cleans. Same with the Crossover I'm afraid...I like the tone well enough, but if it doesn't cut it then it doesn't. The guitarist is using a Mesa Triple Rectifier and when he kicks in OD or his dirty channel it gets really beefy and swallows up all the good distortion frequencies, so I need to hit back with some hard midrange grind to be heard. I like my Blower Box a lot, but more so as a light OD grind, sort of like a slightly breaking up tube amp as opposed to the full-on Rat style distortion it had in mind during designs. BB stays on the board, but the BBM Deluxe takes up some real estate and now I'm questioning what it does. I read good stuff about the TFR and heard some sound samples in band mixes that I really liked. I had a $50 Amazon gift card so this all seemed like a no brainer.

So for all those out there who own them, I'd like to hear what some of your favorite settings are in a rockish genre. I play a P-bass loaded with a DiMarzio Area P, Dunlop Super Brights on the bass now, GK 700RB-II direct to board as well. When not, I'll be going into a biiiiig vintage 2x15s cabinet. I tend to play with a pick on distorted stuff. I'm just surprised that Michael likes this kinda stuff being a hip hop guy, but he loves the dynamics when the bass does more than just one sound during the song. Needless to say, I'm happy to accommodate :)

2. I find anything between 9 and 12 o clock on the tone knob can be really bassy and thick. Once it goes past 12, it gets into that midrangy-knarly territory. So mine would be set at volume to just above unity (it's a fuzz afterall), distortion around 3 o clock, and tone around 1 o clock. The TFR really opens up when you dime the distortion too. Definitely my favourite muff-based pedal I've tried so far!

Plucky The Bassist likes this.