Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wrenches

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by assteak, Nov 23, 2000.

1. assteak

assteak

Nov 3, 2000
    Where can I buy an allen (hex) wrench online?
    And also, where can I buy one of those wrenches that adjusts the string height on the bridge? Or are those the same thing...

2. Man, you don't have to go online for an allen wrench - any and I mean any hardware store has 'em in both SAE (American) and metric versions. Even WalMart and KMart sell sets very cheaply. You'll need a smaller one for the bridge and sets are usually sold with smaller wrenches in one and larger wrenches in another. Also, any of the chain music stores will have them.

3. try to get the ball end hex wrenches for your truss rod.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

While people are right about this, I think there is omething to be said for buying a purpose built tool. I used to have loads of these allen key things, but they're quite small and easily lost. I always used to find that when I needed it, it has slipped down a crack somewhere and disappeared ! Or you had one that wasn't the right size for what you wanted to do.

So I bought "Roadie Rench" quite cheaply online - they are made by BlackStar in the USA - and it is a tool with lot so sizes of scewdrivers, hex wrenches and even string cutters - everything you need to adjust any guitar or bass in one package that while not too large isn't going to be easily lost and as it says is heavy enough to hget someone's attention (liek the drummer's!) if you throw it at their head! ;)