1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wrinkly Veneer Oh No!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Means2nEnd, Oct 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I am wondering how the group glues thin veneers in between tops. I have a walnut body Tele style guitar I am building in my shop currently with some other basses and I have the guitar body chambered and I am gluing a thin black dyed poplar veneer to the bottom of a bubinga top and I bookmatched the bubinga top first and glued it together and sanded smooth. The glued on the veneer to the bubinga top and sandwiched between my router table and MDF with vertical 2”x4” beams clamped it down. It was insanely tight but after I un clamped it there is wrinkles in the poplar. I think I probably used too much glue and it just expanded. I did use Titebond 3 because I wanted time to get everything together and wanted the longer tac time and also I need it to be flexible because I have an arm contour on the body and I need it to bend to clamp down.

The Titebond 3 has more water in it than the original so that is all I can think of is that it was too wet with wet glue. I normally use vulcanized black dyed fiberboard and of course never experienced this before. I do veneers on headstocks all the time with no issues. This really sucks I hope as it dries completely I hope it goes down a little but my fear is I ruined a $100 bubinga top and the veneer of course. There is a possibility if here is space under the wrinkles to slice with razor blade and re glue and clamp again.

I can post pictures later but I am distraught to say the least.. It would be great to hear other methods that are tried and true for adding the veneers and gluing them without wrinkles and also if anyone has any suggestions on how to remedy other than what I have thought of already would be greatly appreciated. Thanks…face in hand.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You should be able to flip the top upside down and sand off the black veneer.

I would never attempt to glue a veneer layer by itself, since I'm not skilled at that kind of thing. I would do a layer like this while gluing the top to the body core, as most people do.

Means2nEnd likes this.
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Depending on what the issue is you might actually be able to fix it with an iron. Google it and see if it seems to apply to your situation.

But yeah, I try to do the sandwich all at once if possible.

Means2nEnd likes this.
  4. Means2nEnd

Thanks guys, I ironed the veneer this morning with a t shirt in between and all the gaps were out. It was still bumpy but that was all sanded out. It seems the veneer absorbed moisture from the glue and actually expanded in parts of the grain and swelled.

In the end all is well in the shop but I have to say thanks again. I feel like sometimes I have of team of builders here to help and assist and suggest ideas and it's just that greatest thing for me.

lbridenstine and Gilmourisgod like this.
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but you could consider contact cement instead of glue.

6. I have never thought to glue in veneer alone without the top on it. I'm sorry this happened, but it's a good learning experience for me.

7. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    There are glues that are good for gluing on veneer. I asked a guy at Woodcraft about using Titebond original for veneer (on a head stock) and he said not to use TB (due to the glue seeping through.) He recommended something else. I didn't go with veneer so I didn't remember what he recommend. Sorry :( Maybe someone else knows what glues are good for veneer?

8. Means2nEnd

Titebond's veneer glue is recommended so I'll be picking some up next week at Woodcraft. I have Coboco venner and the Titebond original seeps through it and then it's hard to get an nice non blochey finish since the glue won't take some finishes in. I'm hoping it's not as wet either as the Titebond 3

9. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Not to hijack the thread but if one was to use a veneer as a top how would one go about that without a vacuum bag?

andruca likes this.
  10. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Will_White likes this.
  11. Yeah, there are specific glues you want to use for this.