Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wrist angle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Eoghan, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    I have fairly small hands and cannot tough the E string (I play an Ibanez GSR 200) without bending my wrist. How much to I have to bend it (or when should I stop bending it) before its dangerous, as in Carpel Tunnel dangerous?

2. Sounds like you wrap your thumb all around the neck, a mistake many beginners commit.

Your thumb should be behind the neck (the front of the neck being where the frets are), and your palm shouldn't touch the neck (see picture from GaryWillis.com).

3. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Imagine you're holding a glass. (Filled with your choice of beverage.) Fingers are curled as is your thumb. As stated, your thumb should be on the back of the neck; approximately in the middle of the neck. My opinion is that the thumb should also roughly be between your first and second fingers. (Again, imagine holding a glass.)

HTH,
    Eric.

4. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    I heard the following which I thought was apt.

Have someone toss a hard-cover book (not too heavy) to you. Catch the book by the edge, using only your fingertips and thumb. You will most likely end up with a good position for your fingers and thumb.

If the person throwing the book is an experienced bassist, they can verify the outcome.