Wrist braces?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Apr 7, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Just wondering if anyone else here used wrist braces while they play. I just started using some wrist bands (not actual wrist braces, but they do provide some support), as I have experienced some general discomfort in my wrists.

Since then it seems that I can play longer and with less discomfort. Is this a good idea, or is it bad for my hands in the long run?

Thanks in advance!
  2. I use Tensor bands, not braces. I have mild Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms from my day job (spend too much time on the computer), and I also have mild arthritis and intermittent gout which often affects my wrist (and fingers).

I use the Tensor bands only when I feel some tightness or inflamation. I have a teacher who says that my technique is OK and probably is not contributing to the problem severely, but has suggested holding the BG in a more vertical position to minimize the effect of repetitive strain on the wrist.

I also take Ibuprofen before gigs, to minimize inflamation (both wrists and ankles).

I would have someone knowledgeable look at your technique, and also discuss the discomfort with a physician or physiologist to make sure that the cause is addressed as well as the symptom.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Occasionally, but not on a gig. I do use magnetic braclets sometimes, and I feel I can play longer without fatigue.

Go Leafs Go!!
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Big O has some really good suggestions. Probably the wrist bands remind you to maintain proper hand position and help you in a roundabout way. See a physical or occupational therapist for ergonomic advice.

5. I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this thread except....

The Leafs suck.

Go Sens Go! (thrash you traitor!)

I love this time of year...
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Grrrr. ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone!