1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wrist braces?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Apr 7, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Just wondering if anyone else here used wrist braces while they play. I just started using some wrist bands (not actual wrist braces, but they do provide some support), as I have experienced some general discomfort in my wrists.

Since then it seems that I can play longer and with less discomfort. Is this a good idea, or is it bad for my hands in the long run?

Thanks in advance!

2. I use Tensor bands, not braces. I have mild Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms from my day job (spend too much time on the computer), and I also have mild arthritis and intermittent gout which often affects my wrist (and fingers).

I use the Tensor bands only when I feel some tightness or inflamation. I have a teacher who says that my technique is OK and probably is not contributing to the problem severely, but has suggested holding the BG in a more vertical position to minimize the effect of repetitive strain on the wrist.

I also take Ibuprofen before gigs, to minimize inflamation (both wrists and ankles).

I would have someone knowledgeable look at your technique, and also discuss the discomfort with a physician or physiologist to make sure that the cause is addressed as well as the symptom.

:)

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Occasionally, but not on a gig. I do use magnetic braclets sometimes, and I feel I can play longer without fatigue.

Go Leafs Go!!

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Big O has some really good suggestions. Probably the wrist bands remind you to maintain proper hand position and help you in a roundabout way. See a physical or occupational therapist for ergonomic advice.

Mike

5. I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this thread except....

The Leafs suck.

Go Sens Go! (thrash you traitor!)

I love this time of year...

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Grrrr. ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone!