Wrist pain and an affinity for fretless'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tryxx, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I'm a proud player and owner of a Modulus Quantum 6. I love the tone, the feel, the action, even the colour to a great degree. It's just a great bass. Though I've only owned it several months, now I'm beginning to notice pain in my wrist when I play it consistently for a period.

Mind you the pain isn't unbearble like carple tunel or arthritis, just something that's sufficient enough to notice afterword. My technique isn't bad or anything, so I don't believe that is what's causing it. It's a fairly slim neck for a sixer, and frankly my hands are just small. It's sometimes uncomfortable playing in certain positions because of that. So, my question is should I do something now and attempt to replace the bass before I cause myself any problems? Or will I adapt to it in time?

If the answer is the former, how much should I expect to get out of my bass if I want to sell or trade it? I'd be looking at a decent 4 string fretless, kind of wanting a vintage jazz tone. Spoiled with a semi-boutique bass, I'd kind of like that again. So knowing the value of my bass might help.

Modulus Quantum 6 velvet quilt blue.
    Shipped from the factory in April
    Bartolini Pick-ups with NTMB pre-amp
    Near perfect condition.

2. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
  3. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Try raising your bass on your strap, if you have small hands you're probably pushing them too hard. If that doesn't help try being more specific about your problem. Don't forget to rest you hand for a while to avoid more severe damage.
  4. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I have my bass setup in the way where it's at the same height as sitting down. I'm rather meticulus about that.

I'm sorry, I don't really know how to me much more specific about it because I'm not entirely sure what's causing it. I just assume it's from reaching the E and B strings and having to put my wrist in a somewhat awkward position. It results in a little pain afterword. Maybe that will help a little...
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    do hand stretching techniques

my hand used to hurt a bit when i first got my 6,

just stretch
  6. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I'll try that again. It's just I don't remember it occuring within the first 4 months of playing, unless it just got worse.
  7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I, too, have pretty small hands but I still wonder how a sixer would suit me as I started out playing classical guitar and loved that fat, wide neck. Perhaps one day I'll know.
  8. Could be that it took this long for the tendons to become inflamed. Try Aleve, or any of the anti-inflamitories for a little while, and if it doesn't clear up, then go see your doctor and see what he can recommend. Don't know your playing schedule, but it couldn't "hurt" to cut back a little and if the stretching hurts, too, then go easy until the pain is diagnosed and taken care of. Don't want anything permenant, now, do we? ;)
  9. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of that at all. I'll see what I can do with that.

I'm not playing terribly much. I'm taking Weekly lessons and seriously practicing in 30-45 minute sessions. Sometimes I do that a couple times a day.

I just noticed on the 35" scale, doing four fret stretches (say 2-5) is probably causing it. On the E and B strings, to play up there with proper technique the bottom side of my knuckles are about at the C string.
  10. When your playing in the lower postions (frets 1-5) try playing in 3 fret stretches. youll put less strain on yourself, and it will eliminate unnecessary strain if you dont actually have to be stretching across 4 frets.
  11. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Yeah, I've been trying that... But part of the reason I got a sixer was so that I wouldn't have to move as much for minor scales etc.
  12. Well... you're definitely doing something wrong if you are encountering physical pain.

Just out of curiosity, are your hands small?

If so, the scale length may be giving you the issues.

You definitely should start to stretch before playing and try not to do play for extended periods of time without resting.

Also... you may want to look into your technique. Ask your instructor if your hand is bent awkwardly, so on, so forht.
  13. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Yes, my hands are small. And my technique isn't wrong, I've always been meticulous about that. It's as right as it gets, I fear my hands are just too physically small to play properly without pain. The scale length took some getting adjusted too, and I thought I was doing decent with it, tell this came up.

Thank you, though.