Wrist Pain

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ASR, Apr 25, 2001.

1. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Anyone else get some kind of shooting, almost electrical shock feeling pain in the wrist of your fretting hand? Its not real bad, but I'm hoping it won't get worse. What do I do about it? I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, but I doubt he will be a bassist. Unless its Dr. Mike.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've had exactly as you describe, electric shock, in my fretting fingers before. What made it better was practicing more, (yeah, that old thing again).

Then again, yours may be something really serious. You may be referred on to a neurologist as I was. They can do tests to see how/if your wrist/arm nerves are conductiong the electrical impulses.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I've read about that in bassplayer, sounds like carpel tunnel or tendonitus. I'd warm up before playing if I were u.
  4. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    welcome to my world where everything i do gives me that pain, that's why i stopped drumming. hold your bass in a more upright position or lay it down some, whatever the opposite is of what you do now. drink lots of water, it'll help.

and see the doctor to make sure it's nothing permanent, like mine.
  5. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Your fretting hand, when you play, should be as straight as possible. When bassists try a stretch of four frets or more you will find that your wrist, in relation to your arm, will be L-shaped. Usually, this position can cause pain especially if you haven't warmed up.
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    What they said!!