Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wrist pains (read on please)..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yoshi, Dec 4, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin' all.

These last few weeks I've been experiencing pretty painful burning sensations in both wrists at the joint on the outer side (see attached pic).

I've cut down severly on bass playing as well as computer use but it doesn't seem to be improving. I would seek medical help but my twin brothers had sever wrist pain and has been in + out of the docs for over 10 months now (and is due in hospital early 2004...which brings me on to my next point; could it be some kind of genetic disorder? My gran was arthritic (to jump to conclusions)...

My main question is does any body have any (and I mean any) advice to aid a heal-up?

I've been taking cod-liver oil daily for some time. Any ideas of any other vitamin supplements that may help?

Also, my forearms are pretty skeletal with little muscle on them so my mum thinks this is to blame..

Sorry ofr the scrambled structuring, but as you may tell,I dont want my wrists seizing up as I cannot imaging spare time without bass (or other things) :/

[​IMG]

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmmm, could it be carpal tunnel?

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..I just read this artcile: http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache...carpeltunnel.pdf+carpel+tunnel&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 . Some points I have experienced, but others I have not so I shan't jump to a conclusion.

I think my best bet is the docs, although, as daft as it may seem, I dread to do - hes seen my brother in and out quite a bit so I'm not sure what view he'll have if I show my face with the same complaints...

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Both wrists, huh? My wrists tend to get sore from repetative stress type things. The only thing that I've had make both wrists sore is doing push-ups on open hands (the "normal" way) I do my push ups on my fists to keep my wrists strait and this has solved the problem. Do you exercise or do any other activities with your hands that could cause repetative stress injuries? (other than computer and playing bass) My left wrist will get quite sore at times from driving too much (steering with left only while right hand stays on the shifter) I'd give a lot of thought to what activities might be causing it. If there really is no cause for it, see a medical doctor.

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Tasks other than bass playing and computer...none existant to be honest.

I've taken up painting in the last few days (its an on/off thing that emerges when my wrist hurts)..so on a lighter note, expect a pic of it to hit off topic once its done.

Exercise is also practically none existant. I'll make it my goal to get some more of this golden stuff and see if that helps..

I've decided to go visit the docs though, I'd rather get some help now at an 'early stage' rather than waiting until it clicks and disjoints at certain movements (like my bros).

Warning to all other bassists: monitor your playing time :bawl:

6. Do you do stretching before you play??~?? one thing that can really help or just avoid totally to paints in the wrist and hand is doing good stretchins before playing

- w00t :hyper:

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    There are joint compounds at the health food stores, EAS makes about the best. It contains several different things to help with joint pain. Water, are you drinking you glasses? This will help flush toxic build up in your joints. Fish body oils help with this. Try icing your wrists to reduce swelling in the joints. Get on the net and do some research there is tons of stuff out there about joint pain.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Now here is an interesting case. I dont really believe its CPS, the point to where you feel pain is usually the area where ganglion cysts start. CPS usually are symptomatic more medially (towards the center of the wrist), however not exclusively. I would like to see an MRI of both you and your brother for comparison, may prove interesting.

The other thing that comes to mind is that it is not unheard of for one twin to feel the pain of the other. Crazy as it sounds its not something I would stake my career on, but its possible.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Mike

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What you have is tendonitis, not carpal-tunnel syndrome. I have the exact same problem.

Here's what you need to do:
    • Mention it to your doctor, or an orthopedist if possible. They will show you all the stretches you need to do, you will need to stretch your tendons using certain techniques many times a day - this makes the most dramatic difference. I can't explain them here, your doctor can show you though.
    • Take IBUPROFIN, NAPROXIN, or ASPIRIN for the pain, NOT TYLENOL! The former are anti-inflamatories and will help your tendons heal while they relieve pain. Tylenol just blocks the pain in your brain while your tendons get shreded.
    • If you play bass with a pick, you need to change your technique to fingers.
    • Use gig bags instead of cases with small handles, when you carry your bass make sure you use the shoulder strap. Putting the bass in a case that's held by just your hand puts incredible stress on your wrist tendons (you can easily feel this when you carry your bass).
    • Change your mouse usage on your computer. * learn keyboard shortcuts like how to select by pressing SHIFT and the arrow key, CTRL arrow for words, HOME, END, CTRL+HOME, CTRL+END for line and entire text selection, CTRL+INSERT for insert, etc. etc. * Try using the mouse with your "non-dominant" hand to get the stress off of it. * Set your mouse sensitivity so that you really have to move the thing to move the arrow; make sure you are moving your whole arm when you move the mouse; if you are just moving your wrist a tiny bit for mouse movements, that will cause problems.
    • If you write a lot, try using a fountain pen. They don't require any pressure from your hand, you just glide them over what you're writing. Also, it's important to use a BIG FAT pen. Much easier on your hand.
    • Buy a nice big wrist brace (your doctor may give it to you) and wear it when you have severe discomfort. Wear it for days at a time.
    • Buy a little weightlifting style wrist brace for when the pain is not severe, or when you need to do something slightly strenuous like moving.
    • Throw away the PS2/Nintendo/Gamecube. Tendonitis + video games = lots of pain.

Believe me, I know exactly what you're going through, I have the exact same problem.

Also, I don't buy into holistic natural products that are not FDA approved. I think they're snake oil.

10. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Hey man, nasty feeling to have your wrists act up, isn't it? I have synovitis and a ganglion cyst in the centre of my wrist (Doc Mulcahay helped me out with that a while back, cheers mate) which basically amounts to the same sort of regime that Phil is describing - however, I would disagree on one of his points. Wearing a brace which immobilises your wrist for days on end is a lot more damaging than not wearing it at all, as this will cause your tendons to weaken. And you need them strong.

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin' all.

I'd just like to thank everyone thats out forward a point of view/suggestion to aid healing, thanks guys!

I've booked an appointment at the docs for this thursday which I plabn to attend even if the pains have dissapated by then (just to question about prevantative measures etc).

The wrist pains are still there but have decreased slightly. They mainly hurt when I wake up and releive themseleves during the day so I was wondering if sleeping on them or something was causing the pain and daily actions were aggrevating it.

Thanks once again, I'll keep you informed. All the best to those with similar pains too.

12. I've found that using one of those £5 gel wrist rests from PC World when using a mouse has eliminated the wrist aches I was getting.

i think that if your arm is tense due to having no support, the tendons are under extra strain when your fingers are being used, as in holding down mouse buttons.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's such a great point that it deserves to be repeated.

Gel wrist rests for your keyboard and mouse are super helpful for overuse problems. Also, do NOT open up the little plastic nubs on the back of the keyboard to make it more angled. You want your keyboard flat, not angled up. Those things are terrible.

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I changed my mouse at home to one of the trackball types. It certainly helped my wrist....but sometimes my thumb tells me it's time to quit using it.....

Also, at work, I swapped my mouse over the left handed use......it's actually very easy to get the hang of.....so work = left handed mouse, home = right handed track ball mouse.

I'm actually keen to get one of the type of mouse that your hand sits in - and your whole arm is required to move it....have no pics, but basically it means your hand is in a similar position as it would be to grip a pistol (sorry to bring guns in - just the only example I could think of!)

Hope it works out Yoshi!

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi again.

I went to the docs today and after a bit of questioning from both sides she told me to basically rest it and to take regular breaks if doing repative hand use ie bass, computer (every 15 mins ideally).

She also reccomended taking ibafurenat times aswell as disagreeing with the use of a support.

I've decided to take this 'minor pains' as a warning so from here out I'll be taking a break from bass (down to 15 mins a day), and computer etc.

Cheers for the info!