Wrist Problems, Tendinitis, Carpal, Sadowsky's and Other Observations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 4, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I have had problems with my left wrist for several years now. Actually my whole left arm. First it was tennis elbow, then rotator cuff problems and them some signs of tendinitis and carpal. This has decreased my speed a lot.

From time to time I have pain and I rest it and have seen doctors about. About a year ago I switched from fat thick Warwick necks with narrower 5 string spacing (FNA Jazzman's and Streamer Jazzman's) to the Streamer Stage I Wide Necks (20mm). This helped a ton.

But it wasn't until I sat down with a Metro for almost two hours that I was sold. Not once in that time did I experience ANY pain. This was is one of the reasons I switched.

For the last week I have only been playing two Sadowsky's I now have. Not only am I not experiencing any pain at all BUT my technique is getting better AND I am playing with a much light left hand (fretting hand) touch.

Last night after the kids and wife were asleep I loaded up a full set of country songs (about 75 minutes) and ran through them like a typical set. No problems. Actually felt great afterward.

Tonight, I just did the same with some old school disco/funk and some Pink, Christina Aggie, etc... No sweat!

I know I rave about these basses but this is why and I am getting therpeutic results as well. Such a perfectly formed instrument. This is exactly what I needed.

Not to mention the tone.
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    That's great to hear. I've luckily never experienced wrist problems -but I experienced some right hand cramps many years ago. Lightening up my touch was the key, too.

So it sounds like the only way your Sadowsky can make your left arm hurt is if you get it tatooed on there!!! :D

Have you done that yet?!? j/k

- Art
  3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Uh No! :eyebrow: My arms are only for tats of my kids, my wife and God. Don't think Sadowsky is going on there ever. Smart ass! :) LOL
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Although you didn't meantion these problems in the other thread when you first started discussing getting into Sadowskys (I have two, musically unrelated, bad rotator cuffs so I feel your pain. Luckly it doesn't affect my playing....just the equipment moving part.:bawl: ), is this the reason you were so anti-35" scale, even though you seemed to like everything else about the Laklands?
  5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    No. I didn't like the Laklands for several reasons. The 35" was just one. 35" just never felt right too me. I was using Spector at the time I first tried a 35". I had several Spector NS-5's in 34" and when the 35" came out I tried them and hated them.

I am also not quick to discuss medical problems in a professional setting when they involve my playing. ;)

But the Sadowsky's seem to actually be helping not just Not Hurting the situation.
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Mike, (- sorry, off topic) since you've picked up the P/J and J/J Sads are you still planning to do the J/MM custom?

I bet that P/J sounds awesome.

- Art
  7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I almost cut into the Marcus I got but just couldn't. Those plans are definitely onhold for now. If business and other things go really well over the next year or so I might just have Roger build me one on a whim and see.

For now, I am holding off though I still like the idea.
  8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks ! That's a very interesting point and valuable information, since I also experience wrist aches (also on the fretting side).

Besides neck thickness, string spacing and position, do some other factors help playing effortlessly ?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad to hear Mike that the Sadowsky is helping you to rock painfree. :hyper:
  10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I think it has A LOT to do with that. The Warwick StageI Wide 5 felt good too because of the wide spacing. I have small hands and one would think that small hands and wide boards would be bad. Or that a wide board would make your hand worse. Just the opposite.

The reason I switched to the Warwick wides is because I saw a doctor that works with musicians and he suggested it had to do with the narrowness and cramped spacing of the bass I was using. I went up to Dana B. Goods and tried the wide for over an hour and felt great.

NOW, the Sadowskys are far better. The neck profile is thinner than the Warwicks. There is just something about the way the necks are shaped and the wide spacing that is just the most comfortable thing.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have small hands and prefer wide, flat, thin necks.

I love the tone of the Warwick Thumb, but the bad ergonomics are a deal breaker for me. Between the thick, narrow neck, and the bad neckdive, it would cause me pain in the left shoulder and wrist to play that bass standing up for any length of time.

The same thing goes for Spectors. Great tone. Narrow, thick neck, although they do balance much better than a Thumb.

I am surprised that you put up with the pain for that long.

I have owned a couple of basses that caused me pain. After working with it for a few weeks/months, determining that it was indeed the bass that was causing the problem, and coming to the conclusion that my body wasn't going to adjust to the instrument, I sold them.
  12. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Funny.. used to get mild pain/cramping/soreness when playing my '64 Jazz extensively. Sometimes after a long gig, wouldn't be able to play as much the next day due to light swelling. Never thought it was the bass... after all, it's like the holy grail! But I got a '78 Musicman Sabre last week, and thus far, have exepreinced NONE of those problems. The neck just fits my hand better, and shape and weight make it easier on my arm. Go figure.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Mike, glad to hear Sads are the way to play without pain for you. Most of my pain is in my right wrist so that causes confusion by itself, but the left wrist gets babied as well. Lucky for me, I've got a pair of Fenders that don't hurt too much, but maybe I'll need a Sadowsky in the future.

I'll be sure to give the Metros a try next time I can.
  14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    oh men,as a musician i have too say am sorry for you,i can,t imagine myself with hands problems or loosing one of my arms,oh my god,am a musician and i love to play,god bless you and help you to beat your problems,maybe you need a good hand surgeon,they have many options for your problems,good luck boy,remember my english is too bad :p
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    BigMikeW, did you ever have a Warwick Corvette? I played one on sale this morning at GC and really liked it. The neck is roundish, but I was comfortable. Did this bass ever give you problems?

Before I forget, I'm glad the Sadowsky is much more comfortable for you. Since you pay the bills with your bass, you really need to be pain free. :bassist:
  16. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Here we have it ladies and gentlemen. Sadowsky’s are not only the best bass ever, but they also perform medical miracle.

Next time I need tendonitis curing, I’ll be sure to pickup a Sadowsky! You know, I heard from my friend Small Davey W that they can cure cancer, heal the dying and bring about world peace!

What do I have to do to get endorsed by these ‘cats’ ?
  17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Not only that, they curred my Allergy's! But they haven't caused me and Brad Johnson to agree, so I don't know about the "World Peace" thing.
  18. gilbass

Jun 15, 2005
    fife scotland uk
    Hi guy`s
    I understand how some of you think Mike`s just plugging sadowsky again,but honestly he is spot on.
    I used to use warwicks with the 16mm spacing,they gave me trouble, moved on to a sei with 18mm spacing,still trouble,back to a warwick on loan with 20mm and it done the trick,i wanted this set-up but in a jazz bass, so sadowsky was the one.So i`m with u on this one mike,i also rely on bass to pay the bills and its scary when a hand problem gets in the way,glad to hear it`s ok now Mike,take care mate.
    P.S There`s something about the way the Sadowsky sounds as well? Oh better go i`m plugging Sadowsky`s.
  19. Hey Mike, I'm glad the Sadowsky is helping with your wrist problems. I too have experienced tendonitis and carpal tunnel over the years (brought on by acoustic guitars with heavy steel strings) and never had pain or even discomfort when playing my Sadowsky basses. I'm surprised more people haven't mention neck shape in all the 'what makes Sadowsky so great' threads. From my experience with his basses it seems Roger has been refining his neck shapes over the years. The current 5-string neck has a great balance between sleek and substantial.
  20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Thanks. The problem isn't nearly that bad anymore. A few years ago it was bad. Since then it has gotten a lot better and after playing the Sadowsky I don't see there being much more pain.

I can easily play 4 -5 hours a night these days. Thanks!