Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wrist stretchs/exercises?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tomass, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    Any one here got some tips or exercises to help warm up the wrists, mainly the left fretting. I played about 3 hours on saturday and 3 hours Sunday which i dont do very often, I usually practice for about 1 hour a day so i think i might have strained my left wrist. Im only 16 and been playing for 4 years, so i highly doubt its carpal Tunnel sydrone or RSI, also i play fairly agresively, my wrist angle was a little angled. Another thing is that i have broken my right wrist about a year ago and had a Cyst on my left wrist a couple of years back, but that disapeared. Do they make any difference to wrist pains?

2. Geo313

Geo313

Jul 17, 2004
    Hi there! first of all, though accidents happen to anybody, take care of your arms and hands more than the regular kind of guy... I mean, if you're so serious about music as you sound. I don't know how you broke your wrist but, if you do, stop skateboarding, mountainbiking, don't laugh but be careful at public places where the "caution, wet floor" sign is been left... I severed my left wrist because of a slip on wet floor, and got a cist at the joint that eventually comes out or hides, but though it takes time it's dissapearing. Be patient.
    You'll have to start practicing a little bit more, not a ridiculous 8 to 10 hours, that could make things worse. Practice in small chunks of time, practice 40 minutes then take a 20 or 30 minute break, then repeat the routine. Before starting and during the break do some muscle/tendons elongation/stretching, which is easy to do. We bassically have two kinds of muscles, flexors (the ones that bend the joints) and extensors (the ones that extend or straighten the same parts). So the easiest way to stretch this muscles is as follows. Lift and straighten your left arm to the front of your body, till it forms a 90 degree angle with your torso and gets parallel to the floor. Rotate your wrist till your palm points up. Then with your right hand grab all your left hand fingers (except the thumb) together and slowly, really slow, start pushing them down. Keep your arm straight and your hand should approximate to form a 90 degree angle with your forearm. Please remember I said to do this slowly. You should feel your muscles and tendons stretching but not to the point of pain, just do it and you'll know when to stop pushing. When you get to the maximum point keep the position for 10 seconds an release slowly.
    Now do the same but with the palm of your hand pointing down to the floor. That means, put your right hand beneath your left hand fingers and start pushing them up slowly, again as if you were trying to approximate and make them touch your forearm. Once you get to the extreme point without pain, keep the position for 10 seconds and release slowly.
    Of course, repeat all this with your other arm. These exercises have been given to me by a physiatrist to avoid CTS with whatever activity could cause it, like excessive computer work... or playing a 3 hour bass marathon. Also check out your position when playing, though according to some guys it looks "cool" to have the bass hanging at thigh/knee level, that's not precisely the best you can do for your arms/hands... and your playing.
    Well, these are just some tips I know but I recommend that you visit a physician to see what's better for your case.
    Hope this helps. Regards.

3. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    thanks a bunch for that well written response, ill be sure to try that exercise out.

4. Geo313

Geo313

Jul 17, 2004
    Hey Tomass, you're very welcome! I just hope it helps you getting things better.
    Take care & stay well

Jorge:smug: