1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Write a bassline for this song

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DerrickShaney, Jul 13, 2012.

1. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    I would really like to see what people come up with for it. I just can't figure out what to play... I am really struggling with original bassline composition I feel like I have no imagination. A lot of our songs are like this one where they are not in any specific key just a collection of chords. I feel like if somebody writes something for this it would really help me get a basic understanding of how to write lines for these types of songs. Please listen and record and or tab. I am very curious. Thanks!!

http://soundcloud.com/buildparadise/keychain-orig-demo

2. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Im gonna have fun with this

3. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    any idea about the beat?or just whatever

4. I'll listen to it when I get home and see if I can't come up with anything. I'm actually kinda excited, as I have no idea what it sounds like yet since SoundCloud is blocked at work :p. Honestly, I think it'd be cool if people did some more "Write a bassline for this song" on here. It'd be cool to have a listener's choice poll and whatnot

5. rondohd

rondohd

Oct 29, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    I'm just renewing my relationship with the Bass after years away. Not qualified to offer a bassline [yet]. It is a catchy up tempo tune; what I'd call "folk rock". Looking forward to what people come up with.
    Rondo

6. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    Cool song! And sure fun to play. I'd just play 8ths with a pick and some fills.
    But this was so easy (I don't mean to be respectless, read the whole sentence!) that I thought maybe you're looking for something else. This was what I had in mind but I had of course no idea of the beat and what the rest of the band plays.
    If I find the time tomorrow, I'll record to ways I would play it.

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    +1. Would beat the heck out of talking about gear by a country mile! What if people just started posting songs saying, "show us your original bass line"? That would be really cool. Could be covers or originals. I personally would love to see something like that on here. To OP: I'm buried pretty deep in learning some material at the moment, but as soon as I get it finished I'm gonna go back and see what I can come up with. Sounds like fun! :)

8. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
  9. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    I just wondered: do you have a keyboard player? If yes what does he play? I'm asking because I'll join a band (on keys) with a similar style and i can't figure out what to play :)

I'm very much interested in the outcome of that song.

10. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    I just recorded my second idea. I didn't stick to my concept at all, since I'm not really good at playing this kind of music fingerstyle and in addition to that I didn't really feel comfortable with my basses today :/ (and I know only bad bassists blame their gear, but well...) ;)

There are however some nice things in it IMO. I just wanted to bring that "tummm, tu-tummm; tummm, tu-tummm" (tummm being halfs (or almost) and tu being eights).

http://soundcloud.com/ajak-1/keychain-orig-demo-bass-by-1

What do you think?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it's a good exercise for you to do, but how it benefits the OP I'll never know. Half the fun of playing is coming up with your own lines, experimenting around, playing some good notes and some bad notes. If everyone else does the work for you, what good does it do you when you're playing with others and you need to come up with a line right then and there?

12. LayDownABoogie

LayDownABoogie

Jan 3, 2012
    Exactly.....

Unless you have a smartphone, then you could quickly check with the TB community before your solo. : )

13. OneOldCoder

OneOldCoder Guest

Jun 28, 2012
    As everyone's imagination needs a little spark every now and then, i think listening to other peoples take on a particular song is a good thing. Doesn't mean you can't come up with your own bass lines on the spur of the moment, just means you perhaps have writers block. Here is my attempt at igniting a little spark for your imagination, well, if you can excuse my fumble fingers this morning...i tried to record this at 5:30 am :D At least you should be able to get the idea of what i was trying to do.

http://soundcloud.com/oneoldcoder/keychain-orig-demo-bass-line

14. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Sub'd for after-work, I'll give my shot at it as well. :)

15. I agree. And it gets especially interesting when you can here different takes on the same song. I don't usually have problems coming up with a bass line for a song, but when that bass line gets stuck (in my head) I'm terrible at trying to find alternative solutions for the same song.

I hope a lot of people chip in with there ideas for this one :bassist:

16. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    Whoa this post exploded. I am happy :) Everything people have been suggesting is kind of what I have been playing myself on the song so maybe I did have my head in the right place on that one... That is kind of reassuring because I wasn't really completely confident in the line.

here is a link to the song with the full band (when we first started) kinda rough

Again thanks for all the advice!

17. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    Catchy tune. it's growing on me. Can you post the lyrics?

18. I like this song.

Maybe you just need a little more confidence in what you write. I don't know how long you've been playing so please don't get offended, but, it takes some time to get comfortable with your own music. At the risk of getting sappy, it's like getting to know yourself.

19. This sounded pretty cool.

20. I'm not sure what you mean by this. I mean it definitely has a tonal center. It seems on first listen the guitar is doing a i-VII-iv riff and the singer comes in on the fifth note in the scale.

I agree that it is hard to come up with an original line to a song sometimes but I find that the more you listen to it the more you start getting ideas about where to take it. I'm playing in an originals band also, which I joined about six months ago. They had about ten songs already put together and I got a decent recording of them and just listened to them over and over again for a while before I even tried to pick up the bass and play along. If you can get your own idea in your head first, then when you do pick up the bass it's a little easier to just figure out how to play what's already in your head.

edit: After see your youtube videos the drums and keys they definitely take it in a different direction than the first clip in OP. The first clip kinda had me thinking of a fretless direction with more sustained lines. I think musically the song is pretty different in each of the three versions, as far as what I would play. Good tune.