Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Write-Offs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Johnny L, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I posted my Strunal bass for sale yesterday...but I got to thinking about donating it to a school or non-profit organization as a tax writeoff instead.

There aren't any string programs in my area that I know of. I'd have to reach out to A-town or H-town or similar. But if any of you guys and gals know of a school or group nearby desperate for basses and would let me write mine off as a tax deduction, please advise.

Learning to play the bass, for me, continues to be a great joy and I feel super lucky. There's no way in hell I or my parents would ever have had the cash needed to drop down on this stuff as a kid, but I wouldn't mind getting some warm fuzzies trying to improve some other kid's chances. :bassist:

Thanks for any advice,
    Johnny

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Where are you. Both my schools in LA would take the bass in a second. I'd even chip in for the amtrak shipping!

Louis

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    That's great, but I'd like to confine my generosity to within my home state borders right now.

If there are no takers here in Texas where I am able to knock it off as a tax deduction, then I'll remember you.

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    no problem! I understand - and good luck!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You might try to contact VH-1's music in the schools program. I'm sure there's a charitable organization for schools in your area that would be glad to allow you a tax deduction for donating it.

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    thanks for the suggestion JimmyM I'll do some snooping