Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Writer's Block

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Feb 23, 2003.

1. I've been working on songs lately and have hit horrible writer's block. One of the songs is a Greek/Italian/Mediterranean influenced rock song/waltz and I don't know where to go with it, and the other is more of a dissonant rock ballad. I was hoping some of the fine folks at Talkbass.com could give me some critique and suggestions on how I should go about these songs (and don't hold back if you think the song is crap). Thanks!

Greek/Italian/Mediterranean song...
    http://www.guitar.com/artists/sounds/Steve_Swyers-The_Battle_of_Cyprus_Hill_(in_progress).mp3

Dissonant Rock Ballad
    http://www.guitar.com/artists/sounds/Steve_Swyers-A_Lonely_Song_(in_progress).mp3

2. the second one is better than the first one

3. What do you like about the second one more?

4. In the first one, for the intro. It sounds like you're leaving out a note.

(NOTE: Sorry if this is kinda confusing)

It goes,

Da dum dum dum da dum dum dum da doo doo dodo

I think at the ("dodo") you should put in a note to tie the phrase up.

Also, Meditterranean music is usually a bit more lively, it's dance music after all. (or traditionally, it's supposed to be)

The second one's good, but I would personally prefer a cleaner elec. guitar sound.

5. well, i've never been knowledgeable or insightful about anything, ever, so i can't help much. but i must say, it sounds good so far!

6. You're right, I am confused about the first part. ;)
    But yeah, I plan to build the first song more so it's more active, but I wanted to do more with the tonality of the region than the rhythms.

7. When I get writers block I get up and do something else for a while. This way I dont get frustrated and completely scratch out the whole song.

8. Yeah, I'm on the brink of doing that. .writer's block sure does suck.