writing a bio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rexspangle, Jan 22, 2002.

1. I am in the process of writing a band bio. What should I include in it without it to sounding geeky. Any suggestions?

2. Erm i have written a couple of band bios. It can be hard, but just start with the facts.

Who started it, when, how, what did they hope to achieve, main influences, reasons for starting the band. Then who came next, why they were chosen etc.

3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  4. Sorry Jazzbo thats 2 in a row.
  5. Well... Here are some things that, as an outsider who knows nothing about you, I would want to know about your band:

- Who are your band members? (Maybe give ages and hobbies, and what each member does in the band.)
    - Who are your influences?
    - What's your gear?
    - What was your first album? (that you bought)
    - How long has your band been together? Where have you played?
    - Give a little description of where you want to go with your music. Are you dedicated? Do you want to make a living playing music? Is it just a hobby?

These are just a couple things that come to mind when I want info on a band. Not necessarily in that order. :) Hope that helps.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't bother me none. ;)
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Heres one I just wrote for a buddy of mine. It's a little different, because its for an individual, but the tone and format might help you:

Scott Burnett's career as a musical composer, producer and artist spans more than 25 years and styles including rock, classical, gospel and jazz. His current album, "Write Your Story," is drawn largely from his work as worship leader at Northwest Community Church in (location). He previously toured and recorded with gospel group His Ambassadors and Christian rock bands Second Advent and Serviceman. While working as a successful session guitarist and music arranger on the Seattle recording studio circuit in the mid-80s, he formed MIDI-based music production company Darkhorse MusicMedia. At Darkhorse, he composed, produced and performed music for videos, films, and CD-ROMS, as well as albums and demos by regional artists, for more than 10 years. He holds a bachelor of arts degree in music composition from Nyack College.
  8. How about I give one of you people all the info and you write it. ;)

thanx for the suggestions