Writing a Buisiness Plan

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Oct 9, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Anyone out there own their own business? My girlfriend is working on starting up her own retail business. I've been helping her a little. She got an LLC and a tax ID # last week. Now she has to complete her business plan to proceed.

Anyway, We're both new this and it's a lot of work. Neither of us are excellent writers, so it's a bit overwhelming. Anyone have any advice that can help us with this. She has a few books from the library she's been using for reference. But there are so many books on starting a new business it's hard to know which ones are good. Any recommendations?

Does anyone know any good websites? Or computer programs? Words of wisdom, magic spells, etc... :help:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
  2. What type of retail business is this going to be? Will it be from home, renting out a space, or what? My friends dad has been succesfully running a movie poster shop for many many years now and has recently expanded to several locations in 2(or 3?) cities. I may be able to ask him for some advice to help you out.

As for the books, I would suggest reading as many of them as possible and seeing what works for you(well, her, but the collective you as you(not her and you you, just you) are willing to help her out).

Sorry I can't be of more help, insomnia is in full force atm and I don't have a large experience in this area.
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thanks so much for the replies guys. I know, this is a massive project and it is hard to properly discuss on a message board. We've been using an outline for the BP from score.org that's been very helpfull.

I'll try to answer some of the questions. The main intention of the business plan is to get a bank loan.

1. A retail pet supply store
    2. Alot of retail experience from clerk to managerial
    3. None
    4. Starting from scratch
    5. Yes
    6. Yes

We haven't got into the numbers part too in-depth yet. Honestly, this is the part which is very overwhelming for me. I'm much more of a creative type, I'm horrible at math and finance. Luckily, Lindsay is much better with #'s than I. She's done some research, but We need alot more info. Any suggestions on where to get data for compiling these projections, etc...?
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Business Plan Pro is a nice piece of software that creates a business plan. Check it out.