Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Writing a solo bass peice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Mar 12, 2006.

1. For my music outcome this term I am required to write my own solo bass peice. Thats all good and well, I was happy as larry when I found out this is what I had to do, but I came home and discovered that I actually have no clue as to how to go about writing a solo peice. I mean, I can pick a key and stuff and come up with a groove etc. but nothing I play is worth even jotting down yet. I've been watching and listening to alot of solo bass peices to get inspiration but I just cant seem to do it. How do you guys go about doing this? Any tips?

2. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Endorsing Artist: Ritter, DR, Jim Dunlop, Hartke
    Hey Fnar,
    I've discovered that taking a "traditional" approach to arrangement..verses, choruses, etc..balances out the unique texture that the tone of bass creates...also, strong melody makes great music usually..

entire bands with good bassists can be very boring if there's no melody going on..conversly, a solo bass can be very engaging with a strong enough melody..but then you have to support it to, alone...its a tricky propostion but its fun to try:)

I hope this helps in some small way!

take care, Aram

3. Thanks Aram! I'll give that a try. And I know what you mean about the supporting your own melody! I have some good little melodical lines now but they seem so empty, I'm considering tapping a little for a supportive bass role. Not sure where I want to go overall as of yet though. Thanks!

4. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    You might check out Mike Dimin's post's here. And his website, and his CD. He has a way of getting a really full sound with a simple texture. Very efficient texture and approach to solo bass.