writing bass lines and solos HELP

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Nirvana4ever, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    I have been playing for a little over a year and a half. I'm in a band that does mostly covers, but we want to write more of our own songs. Usually, the guitarist does most of the writing, and the drummer and I have to follow along. I, however, have a lot of trouble writing bass lines. I get "bass writer's block" when I am trying to think of one.

Writing bass solos is another thing. I have wrote one, but it isn't great. I also have trouble with writing solos.

It is a common problem. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're just not at a point where it's automatic to you. Start out your original songs just playing the root note of the chords that the guitarist writes. After you get comfortable with them, start trying different notes here and there to break things up. Later on, flat-out steal other people's basslines that you like and try to incorporate them into the songs you guys write. Once you see how others create their basslines and you get some experience making your own simple basslines, it gets easier. Also learn as much theory as you can stand.

As for soloing, hey, crawl before you walk ;)
  3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I played professionally several years before I ever ventured to solo-land...lets face it. bass is not an instrument whose natural function is to take off on a solo. Don't force it - as you develop as a player you will eventually get to point where you have something to say on the instrument. If you're function in the band necessitates you taking a lead, at this point find something melodic that you can embellish as your chops develop.
  4. As it's been said above, your not quite at the level to take off as soloist and I say that with absolutely no disrespect.

What you have to do, and this may sound antiquated, is just shed tunes that you find difficult until they flow a lot easier. Once you do it long enough, the realization will hit you - you'll know "hey, this note sounds right for this sound" and so forth.

If you want a more objective opinion on being a bit more of a solo style player, learn modes, scales, and arpeggios like what. That's what all of those guys (great players) play.
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to General Instruction.