Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

writing bass lines to guitar...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by damageddanish, Sep 30, 2002.

1. damageddanish

damageddanish

Sep 30, 2002
    I really have no idea on how to do this and i just write stuff that basically starts and ends on the same notes as the guitar. and some notes in the middle. i've heard of "keys" and such but i'm looking for an explanation, either personal to this post or somewhere ont he net, that explains how to write a bass line to sound proper with a guitar. cuz some stuff i write really doesn't fit at all.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My suggestion is to listen to what the guitarist is playing as a whole.

Dont just pick out the single chords, or even all the chords he is playing, but rather, listen to the riff, and more importantly, the feel of what he is playing. Try to imagine a cool bassline that sounds good with that.

Dont really force yourself, just try to think of it like you think of it when you are listening to a song and come up with a cool melody in your head thats not actually in the song, but that would sound cool in it. Just something that comes into your head, and once you have that, you can start to figure out what notes you were thinking of by playing them one by one untill you get them all.

Thats what I do at least. It takes you a while at first to figure out the notes, but eventually you get better and can play it immediately off the top of your head.

Good luck, and I hope that helped.

Peace
    Nick