Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Writing bass lines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 6, 2002.

1. I'm in a bad rut when it comes to writing some original bass lines. I do fine if I'm writing something to go with a piece that has already been created on piano or guitar. It's when I just start from scratch that I have trouble comming up with anything new. What inspires you when you write songs on bass?

2. basic scales, you can lay any note in the scale in any position like a Bb jazz blues scale-it's cool to move around on that and make bass lines.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Think of a catchy riff - and 'sing' it in your head or whistle it. Then try to transpose it to the bass, works a lot for me!

4. SquattingDog

SquattingDog

Oct 8, 2001
    Tennessee
    I always think of a drum beat and play to that. That never fails. I also have some bongos that I use to come up with odd rhythms. Maybe you could pick some up at your local music store. You can get a decent set for under $100.

5. This is going to sound stupid, but I came up with quite a few interesting bass lines this way. When my old band was coming up with new songs, we'd 'sketch' out parts on a 4-track cassette recorder, using tracks 1 and 2, just jamming live into a mic. Afterwards, if I didn't really like what came out of it, I'd flip over the tape and play it backwards. Sometimes the same old riffs can sound brand new when you turn them around or twist them a little. We wrote at least three songs 'backwards', or at least certain parts of songs.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a great tip for getting yourself out of a rut, too!