1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Writing basslines...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fo-string, Oct 28, 2018.

1. fo-string

fo-string

Nov 27, 2016
    Arizona
    So, I'm wondering about creating bass lines for original music. I've been trying different bass ideas on a keyboard to start with, makes it easier with the sequencer (that may be my problem,) and I seem to like ideas that are more melodic than that which hugs the kick and snare. If you write, do you add bass lines after the main melody, or do you come up with all of the music first? Or does it just depend on the tune? Gonna try to upload an example, here. I took out the idea I had for the chorus and am just playing root notes. The chorus is pretty bland without the original bass part, but, it was melodic to the point that I can't think of what to sing over it! :laugh: Hope this makes sense. Any input you have... just want some feedback, and your experience. Please let me know if the link doesn't work, new to this stuff. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. I don’t finalize my basslines till after the vocals are established. I need to know where the vocal movement is, so I don’t step on it; where the long notes are, so I can groove a little more, and where the rests are, so I can fill a little.

It also helps to know the rhythm of the vocal melody, so I don’t mimic it too closely.

fo-string likes this.
  3. fo-string

fo-string

Nov 27, 2016
    Arizona
    Thank you! I appreciate it. I think I'm trying to put the cart before the horse, with the bass line.